General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-11 01:14:07
Print Post

Why are BT so sneaky ?

[link to this post]

Up to yesterday The BT speedchecker said that fibre was not planned for the next 6 months in this area, today it's available and we've been receiving sales phone calls and literature from BT for Infinity for the past 6 weeks or so.
So the Question is are BT deliberatly delaying the acurate updating of the speedchecking databases until there sales people have done there work to get an advantage over their competitors or are they just incompetent.
I know which theory I believe.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jul-11 02:33:54
Print Post

Re: Why are BT so sneaky ?

[re: Sceptic] [link to this post]

Usually the literature is a bit ahead of time but they wouldn't/shouldn't be on the phone to you before it's available. Why try to sell you something you can't have.

Might be the checking database was slow getting updated.

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

Edited by orly (Sat 02-Jul-11 02:34:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-11 09:26:54
Print Post

The BT Infinity checker is definitely affected by Marketing plans for each area.

The BT Wholesale checker is honest so far as I know, but gets confused in the last couple of weeks before live.

The two have differed a few times in the past, and not just because the Infinity one doesn't display below 15Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Sun 03-Jul-11 00:03:06
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

The cabinet went live 2 days ago the sales phone call was at least 4 weeks ago (when the BT speedchecker said that FTTC was not available for the next 6 months) the call mentioned that fibre was being installed in the area and was I interested in BT Infinity. I can't tell you what would have happened if I'd of shown any interest as I'm quite happy with my BE connection.
personally I think tying you into an 18 month contract before your competitors have a chance is a strong motivation, but as I say I don't know if they could have signed me up at that time as I didn't go ahead with it, It's possibly to do with common 30 day notice periods.

the speedchecker was updated the day it went live which I believe is not unusual.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Sun 03-Jul-11 01:03:13
Print Post

Re: Why are BT so sneaky ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by NilSatisOptimum
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Sun 03-Jul-11 01:05:00
Print Post

Personally I think you are quite reasonable to suggest, sneaky practice. To coin the much loved sentence;” where there is a profit to be made as they are a business”. Often used in Bts defense in its profitable deployment of Infinity.

You would also have to expect them to continue exploit any advantage to maintain those profit margins.

My views are my experiences.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 03-Jul-11 08:46:52
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

Have a read of this as it indicates some of the problems BT may face with the installation of FTTC http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010608/BT-s...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 03-Jul-11 09:15:51
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

A great example of how to use a picture to distort the truth ... Look how she has her leg bent and is leaning forward to give the impression the cabinet is massive!

The position is shielded by a wall and trees, so how can it obstruct her view, unless she likes looking down at the pavement surface.

She claims it is outside her gate - no, it it is against a boundary wall on the PUBLIC highway.

She claims it is 3 feet higher that her wall - rubbish, especially as that would make her 7 feet tall!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 03-Jul-11 09:18:09)

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 03-Jul-11 09:23:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes quite so. I only linked it to indicate that installing them does not always meet with universal approval.

Would love to live at her address, with a cab so close!!
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Jul-11 09:29:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Have looked at the picture and I strongly suspect your comments would fall away if a second picture had been included to show it from a different perspective.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to