General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dadgey
(committed) Mon 04-Jul-11 21:15:13
Print Post

Openreach FTTC Modem Fault

[link to this post]

Hi,

We resell to business clients FTTC, we currently have a 80% failure rate of the Openreach FTTC modems. The fault relates to the user loosing sync. A quick swapout of the modem fixes the issue.

Is this issue widespread?

I'm guessing it's costing BT a fortune in revisits.
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Mon 04-Jul-11 21:47:58
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTC Modem Fault

[re: Dadgey] [link to this post]

Fairly widespread, yes. I am also seeing a high failure rate.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jul-11 22:19:36
Print Post

yes, that is a very high failure rate though. There is a component issue which has been resolved in newest models (will come online soon). The unit is under warranty and replacement free although the day or two downtime is annoying. The "faulty" modems will however work without issue provided they are not crowded (i.e. plenty of space and router not placed on top) and out of direct sunlight. I have seen a no sync hot unit get sync just by placing it vertically (so heat goes up out of vent).
I would recommend asking your clients to power down the router for 10mins to let the unit cool and try again, may work while they await openreach.
On install get the eu to ask for it wall mounted - this will be done free of charge and avoids a great deal of these issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Mon 04-Jul-11 22:30:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The unit is under warranty and replacement free
<nitpick>
It's not under warranty as such - it's leased and therefore OR will always be obliged to supply a replacement if it goes tits-up. "Under Warranty" is a different concept altogether.
</nitpick>
Otherwise, from what I hear your comments are accurate - mine, FWIW is mounted vertically, barely runs warm and so far (touches wood) has been trouble free
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jul-11 22:50:14
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

A slight aside, but related

http://revk.www.me.uk/2011/06/high-speed-internet-fi...

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jul-11 22:57:05
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Under warranty to OR so costs etc will be recovered from modem supplier (op said cost OR a fortune). As a result manufacturer is quick to resolve issue as doesnt want to cough up for thousands of repairs and engineer visits...
Of course will always be replaced free to end user provided not damaged.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jul-11 23:31:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
On install get the eu to ask for it wall mounted - this will be done free of charge and avoids a great deal of these issues.

The unit is designed to lay flat, that is why it has rubber feet. If it does not work that way it is faulty. Also, mounting it vertically does help if there is an issue, but in my experience it did not fully cure the issue.

I cannot wait until modem/routers are widely available so I can swap out this POS wink.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Jul-11 23:35:57
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
The unit is designed to lay flat, that is why it has rubber feet.
That's arguable... the rubber feet also keep it away from the wall.

The labels would indicate that it's designed to be wall-mounted- if it's horizontal they're upside down (unless you like to have the cables at the front).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Wed 06-Jul-11 11:23:35
Print Post

My first Modem lasted a week, then died. The DSL light was permanently flashing.

The OR Engineer came next day and replaced it. So far, so good after 3 weeks.

Modem was wall mounted vertically and is out of direct sunlight. Runs just warm to the touch- much cooler than the HH3.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jul-11 22:33:34
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

The labels would indicate that it's designed to be wall-mounted- if it's horizontal they're upside down (unless you like to have the cables at the front).

....yep, that and the drilling template that comes in the box !!! grin

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to