General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Wizen
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 14:33:04
Print Post

Moving the master socket in new house for FTTC install?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have a slightly tricky setup in my relatively new (2003) house. I believe the cabling in the walls is cat5. I currently have 2 master sockets, because I used to have 2 bonded ADSL2+ connections, but I have since cancelled the original line and only use the newer line (which has a lower sync by around 3Mb on ADSL2+).

What I would like to know is whether the BT engineer could easily install my fibre faceplate on an extension socket upstairs in the office. From my vague knowledge of cat5 cabling, this shouldn't be too difficult, as the wiring is all new and up to standard. But I wanted to get an opinion from the experts on here rather than just waiting for install day to find out.

Here are some pics to better explain what i mean:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/WWB01/Phot...

Edited by Wizen (Tue 12-Jul-11 14:36:36)

Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-11 14:47:00
Print Post

Re: Moving the master socket in new house for FTTC install?

[re: Wizen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wizen:
Hello,

I have a slightly tricky setup in my relatively new (2003) house. I believe the cabling in the walls is cat5. I currently have 2 master sockets, because I used to have 2 bonded ADSL2+ connections, but I have since cancelled the original line and only use the newer line (which has a lower sync by around 3Mb on ADSL2+).

What I would like to know is whether the BT engineer could easily install my fibre faceplate on an extension socket upstairs in the office. From my vague knowledge of cat5 cabling, this shouldn't be too difficult, as the wiring is all new and up to standard. But I wanted to get an opinion from the experts on here rather than just waiting for install day to find out.

They would be able to make the socket upstairs your master socket but to make the socket downstairs also work they'd have to "backfeed" which could cause RFI and slow your connection.

Also that is standard CW1308 cable; probably also CAT5 compliant too, but it's nothing special smile

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Standard User Wizen
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 14:52:26
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not fussed about being connected both upstairs and downstairs, so I'd be happy with just one connection upstairs in the office. Do you reckon that's doable without sacrificing speed and performance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-11 16:10:11
Print Post

[re: Wizen] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not fussed about being connected both upstairs and downstairs, so I'd be happy with just one connection upstairs in the office. Do you reckon that's doable without sacrificing speed and performance?

Probably, a blanking plate could be fitted downstairs and the master put upstairs but I don't know whether OR engineer would be happy to do this, or if he'd have a blanking plate for downstairs.

You could always do it yourself, you'd need sillicone gel crimps to go in place of the socket downstairs then replace the one upstairs with the master.

Not that you're technically allowed to... so don't do that tongue

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Standard User BP1
(committed) Tue 12-Jul-11 16:33:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:
Hello,

They would be able to make the socket upstairs your master socket but to make the socket downstairs also work they'd have to "backfeed" which could cause RFI and slow your connection.

Also that is standard CW1308 cable; probably also CAT5 compliant too, but it's nothing special smile

We had FTTC installed recently. Our master use to be downstairs in the hall by the front door. The cable then went upstairs into a cupboard and then in to the other secondary sockets. The BT engineers are pretty helpful. We wanted our FTTC modem in the cupboard upstairs. The BT guy just jointed the cabling downstairs and put the master socket upsatairs in the cupboard. We just had to provide a blanking plate at the joint position. Just ask the engineer nicely and he should do it
BTW ensure that you have 13A sockets local to the new master socket position.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User Wizen
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 18:06:14
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Thanks for your response.

I'm not sure a blanking plate would be necessary. The master socket isn't actually in the wall cavity, it's a box screwed on to the wall that was installed around 18 months ago, when I got my second line installed. The original master socket is a "proper" socket, that's actually in the wall, and contains the cat5 wiring. The master socket I want moved is just an added openreach box with two wires pulled through from the socket next to it, from what i can tell. So if the engineer agrees to move the socket, I think all he would need to do is remove the master socket box and connect the wires to the current extension socket upstairs, but perhaps I'm mistaken....
Standard User homer79
(learned) Tue 12-Jul-11 23:14:54
Print Post

Most OR engineers normally will do anything within reason, they are really helpful if the job is made as easy as posible. When I had FTTC installed I had my master socket moved out of the loft at the same time, I had the cable prepped as much as posible for him. He even thanked me for making the job so quick.

Edited by homer79 (Tue 12-Jul-11 23:17:17)

Print Thread

Jump to