General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:01:10
Print Post

At last :)

[link to this post]

Just got Infinity installed, after a long battle with BT and their systems not letting them order. A lovely lady Liz in the CEO office got it all put through, and engineer not long gone.

Install took around an hour, he had to make 3 trips to the cabinet as my landline stopped working.. dunno what he done lol

The engineer didn't mount the modem, he just said don't set the hub on top of it, i have mounted it on the side of a cabinet, does this look sufficient to keep it cool?

http://i51.tinypic.com/34ih0yw.jpg

First speed test came out at 37.2mb/6mb (Upload seems slow on any tests i've done, hoping this goes up a bit)

Lost bout 10ms from my Sky LLU ping. Overall very happy, the net is a lot quicker, even going from 20mb to 40mb, the pages seems be a lot snappier

BT Infinity
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:07:37
Print Post

Re: At last :)

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

BT speedtest just started to let me on..

Download speedachieved during the test was - 34082 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8156 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Sweet smile

BT Infinity
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:15:58
Print Post

Mounting looks fine - it will get a nice convection flow through it.

With a 38717 profile you should see around 36500 throughput on the TBB tester and maybe close to 38000 on the BT tester.

Your upload will probably get to around 8000 to 8200 - BT will not explain why a 10Mb service seems to stop at 8 and 2Mb stops at 1600 kb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:22:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16000-38717 Kbps .
I'm sure that when I first went on to fibre (last August) the lower figure for the acceptable range was 12000 (it still is, but I no longer sync at full speed frown).

Anyone care to comment, in case I'm having a senior moment?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:24:32
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16000-38717 Kbps .
I'm sure that when I first went on to fibre (last August) the lower figure for the acceptable range was 12000 (it still is, but I no longer sync at full speed frown).

Anyone care to comment, in case I'm having a senior moment?

I have noticed that any other tests people have done it mentions 12000-38717 , i'll try another and see if its still 160000

BT Infinity
Standard User ichilton
(learned) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:28:13
Print Post

Hi,

How did you get through to the CEO office to resolve your "can't order" problem.

Our cabinets are just getting the paths dug by the power people now but the checkers still show 'no plans in the next 6 months' so i'm wondering if we are going to have problems trying to order it once it goes active.

Thanks,

Ian

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:29:39
Print Post

I have noticed that any other tests people have done it mentions 12000-38717 , i'll try another and see if its still 160000
That's good enough to reassure me about my memory smile

You won't be able to run another test for an hour anyway, give it a few days to see if it settles down to something else. It may be something to do with the minimum 15Mbps, but it seems a bit odd even then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:30:33
Print Post

[re: ichilton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ichilton:
Hi,

How did you get through to the CEO office to resolve your "can't order" problem.

Our cabinets are just getting the paths dug by the power people now but the checkers still show 'no plans in the next 6 months' so i'm wondering if we are going to have problems trying to order it once it goes active.

Thanks,

Ian

I emailed ian.livingston@bt.com stating that i have been trying for over a week to order and no lucky, then a lovely lady Liz from the CEO office contacted me, and had it ordered within a few hours.

BT Infinity
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:37:53
Print Post

Fairly sure you are right ... It is definitely now 16000 and it caught my eye a few days back as it did not look right (or how it had appeared before).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:45:13
Print Post

It's 12000 for me too.

For interest. I graph my results on a regular basis and I get:-

BT IP Profile Down 38717 Up 10000
BT Acceptable Down 12000-38717
BT Actual Down 35186 Up 8121
Speedtest.net Down 37490 Up 8270
TBB speedtest Down 28227 Up 6511

The BT result is fairly stable but prone to the odd fluctuatuion. The speedtest.net result is always the same within just a few Kb. The TBB speedtester is, well, a little wild to say the least and never shows the same results within several Mb - not worth relying on at all ion my view.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to