General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:27:15
Print Post

Confusion over BT's information

[link to this post]

Yes, yes, I know: it's a common thread running through here! But I've searched for other posts and not quite found one that matches.

For a while now the list of exchange upgrades has shown December for Cheltenham. I've taken that with a large pinch of salt, plus I was never convinced that my street would see it any time soon. I've downloaded the April spreadsheet (PCP to Postcode report) and it shows my postcode as:

SSCMN,CHELTENHAM,GL510EG,{SSCMN}{p122},0,100,51.02,6b,Yes,FTTP

which seems to indicate we are planned to have it (though I still don't know where the cab is). A work colleague reports seeing new cabs somewhere in town. My main confusion is the BT checker. If I put in my number, or full address, it makes no mention of FTTC (and the Infinity checker says 'nothing withing the next 6 months') but if I just put in my postcode (which seems to cover around 20 houses on our side of the street) it includes 'Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 30.2 to 38.3 Mbps and upstream line speed between 6.6 to 9.8 Mbps.' They say themselves that this is less accurate than the other two methods, so why the supposed detail?

And if anyone can help me identify my cab, that would be appreciated wink

Chris
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:34:17
Print Post

Re: Confusion over BT's information

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

Have you tried ordering ? Don't get too fixated on where your cab is, if the estimate is between 30 and 38 meg, then its close enough.

Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:41:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes I started the ordering process (just to find what it said: I have no desire to go back to BT) and it just said I could order the various flavours of DSL, but FTTC wasn't available. I didn't expect it to be avaiable to order yet.

Just tried Samknows and it says 'fttc should be available in your area from 1/12/2011 - not sure if that just means the exchange, or actually applies to the postcode.

I'd like to know where my cab is so I can take a look to see if a new cab appears.

Edited by chrisadsl (Sat 16-Jul-11 18:45:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:44:32
Print Post

OK, so just sit tight. The appearance of the street furniture is a good omen, but it's no guarantee of time scales. My DSLAM cab sat idle for a fair while before it was RFS.

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:05:14
Print Post

Let's take another, close, look at the above.

The first emboldening is the POTS PCP number for your postcode -- 122.

The second emboldening is far more interesting -- FTTP. Yes, P not C. So it looks, all being well, that you will be one of the lucky people with the opportunity to have Fibre To The Premise! laugh

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:25:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
OK, so just sit tight. The appearance of the street furniture is a good omen, but it's no guarantee of time scales. My DSLAM cab sat idle for a fair while before it was RFS.

OK, to give some more context: I've been with Be for some time, and while happy with their service there is little they can do with my line (~4.5 km/63 dB). Moving to Be got me an increase from 1.5 Mbits to up to 3 Mbit/s, but it is vulnerable. Lots of FEC errors, and sometimes no connectivity even though it has synced. Plus sometimes resyncs to give a d/l speed of less than the u/l! Susceptible to my DECT phones (ironically, since It got them so I could remove all extension wiring). I can live with it most of the time, but now it's stopping me downloading ISOs of my latest Linux releases and it's getting annoying, so have been looking at Virginmedia (!) for an interim 12-month contract. But even that is expensive for their 10 Mbit/s offering.
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:29:55
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Let's take another, close, look at the above.

The first emboldening is the POTS PCP number for your postcode -- 122.

The second emboldening is far more interesting -- FTTP. Yes, P not C. So it looks, all being well, that you will be one of the lucky people with the opportunity to have Fibre To The Premise! laugh

That caught my eye, which very much surprised me, for a couple of reasons. I didn't think it would be available to residential addresses, and the exchange list (e.g. at http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/exc... shows only FTTC. Not that it's a bid deal.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:43:21
Print Post

I'd like to know where my cab is so I can take a look to see if a new cab appears.

Possibly this one.
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:11:23
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:

Possibly this one.

Either I'm going blind (or mental!) I was sure there was a cab up there, but couldn't see it when I drove past this morning. But it certainly seems to have the 122 printed on the side of it, as per the spreadsheet. I'll walk round there tomorrow. While I'm there I'll look at the cabs opposite. There are 2 large ones I assume as VM, but a small one further along in Barlow Road which could be BT's from the pics I've seen elsewhere.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 16-Jul-11 21:24:00
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

When I look up my postcode on that list there are 2 entries - the entries after the postcode being:
{p5},0,51.51,3.74,7b,Yes,FTTC
{p12},0,48.48,2.35,,,
but this is for exactly the same postcode.

What does this mean exactly and how can I tell if my property gets FTTC?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to