General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ccxo
(regular) Tue 19-Jul-11 21:15:57
Print Post

Handover Node

[link to this post]

Question about the above i know that for it to happen it depends on the availabity of ducting present between each cabinet.

The southern part of my village has just had a new FTTC cab appear, from what i know is on the path's and road between the 2 cabinets which are on seperate exchanges there is alot of BT ducts in the path and road, which im guessing would suggest that theres ducting down the road.

Has there been any figures to show what the cost would be in certain expamples where a handover node has been installed, will always be different as its most likely to be a case by case basis but a general overview of cost would be interesting to see.

Local community is in contact with high up BT staff and County council.

thanks

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jul-11 21:25:48
Print Post

Re: Handover Node

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

A handover node is the area where BT Openreach hand over connections from the FTTC/P network to service providers via a layer 2 switch, what exactly are you referring to with regards to cabinets in the street?
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jul-11 22:20:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I think the op is saying that half the village is fed from a different exchange.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Jul-11 22:38:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Local community is in contact with high up BT staff and County council.
What about?

As I read your post, an FTTC cabinet has been installed. Is the question "Why isn't there one for the north part and what would we have to pay to have one"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ccxo
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:23:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In its simplist form yes, village is covered by 2 exchanges.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 20-Jul-11 19:24:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:37:53
Print Post

Apart from asking what the cost of a handover node is, and IgnitionNet has explained what that is - and it's the ISP side of the exchange not your side and nothing to do with FTTC, you haven't asked us a question and you haven't told us what you are in contact with BT and the Council about.

If your worry is that there is only one FTTC cabinet, as I read your opening post it is between the two PCP cabinets, each of which is connected to a different exchange.

It sounds perfectly feasible to me that the single FTTC cabinet is serving both PCPs.

Have you established what FTTC coverage is planned for the north and south of the village? A post code in the north and one in the south would be a start. Also, what are the two exchanges?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User ccxo
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 01:30:42
Print Post

What we are in contact with BT and the council about is the providing of a fibre based service to the north of the village and to the rest of villages that the exchange covers.

The Hermitage exchange THHRJ covers the north of Cold Ash and the surrounding villages of Hermitage and beyond, though most likely it will be to the main built up areas.

The FTTC cabinet is next to the southern PCP cabinet which is connected to the Thatcham exchange THT, where its coverage cuts the village in half, the village is split by different numbers due to the exchanges.

The distance between the two cabinets is about 1.3 miles on goggle maps following the main road through the village.
I can provide locations where the 2 PCP cabinets are located.

The area of the village is covered by one post code which is RG18 9JH and the town of Thatcham is under the RG18 3RP.

Coverage for the north/south of the village, well with the instilation of the FTTC cab on the southern PCP cabinet the south of the village should be covered.

The north of the village is unkown though there is possibly some senstive information i can send via pm about OR plans for the County, not sure if should post on a public forum.
The north of the village would likely be dependent on the Hermitage exchange being upgraded for any improvement to arrive.

Exchange wise for west berkshire out of the list of exchanges the main exchanges have or will be upgraded to FTTC by the end of the year, Which leaves the next larger exchanges in terms of population service to be upgraded. There are 19 exchanges which under BT's goal of 85% coverage by 2015, my exchange which im connected to at current, the Hermitage exchange is the 6th largest so will be covered by 2015 though exact coverage is unknown until BT start rolling out their service.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 07:46:52
Print Post

It sounds perfectly feasible to me that the single FTTC cabinet is serving both PCPs.

I'm not sure one FTTC cabinet can be connected to more than one PCP, even if there is spare capacity? Others may know better.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 07:48:21
Print Post

BT's goal of 85% coverage by 2015

IIRC it is 66% coverage by 2015, although the government may have a different target.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-11 09:22:11
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
I'm not sure one FTTC cabinet can be connected to more than one PCP, even if there is spare capacity? Others may know better.
I'm not aware of any reason it should not be. There is just a cable of copper pairs between the PCP and FTTC cabinet to link onto the copper to the premises, and as long as the two such cables could get into the FTTC cabinet it should be fine.

Which isn't to say Openreach ever do it!

What is certain is that the FTTC cabinet does not need to be connected to the same exchange as the PCP, so I was wondering if that was how the north area could get FTTC. However from the OP's latest post it seems probably not so, due to the distance between the two PCPs being too great for the FTTC cab to bridge the gap.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to