General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:08:11
Print Post

FTTC >> FTTC migration

[link to this post]

Is there any info yet?

1) Will a MAC be required? I would have thought so.

2) Will an engineer be required? (Particular case a move to BT where the HH is connected by the engineer, but may not be required anyway). I see no need for one.

3) Similar to (2) but a move to TT from any other.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:19:27
Print Post

Re: FTTC >> FTTC migration

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

1) Yes
2) No
3) No idea

More: http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26...

and following posts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... [New]_______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User markd66
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:20:43
Print Post

I did this back in April. From A&A to BT, with the migration booked via the BT website. Got a phone call a couple of days later to confirm the details (including MAC) and also to confirm that an engineer wasn't needed (ie. I knew what to unplug and plug on the day).
Actual migration took place without any issues - left my router attempting to authenticate with the BT credentials when I went out in the morning, by the time I got home it had connected.

What have I done...? BT Infinity Option 2 | D-Link DIR-855

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:22:37
Print Post

[re: markd66] [link to this post]

Thanks both smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:25:38
Print Post

[re: markd66] [link to this post]

Was the migration free?
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:46:53
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

BT wholesale charge £50 for an FTTC to FTTC migration, so this is passed on to the ISP's who normally have to pass this on to the customer, just like an activation fee.

Hopefully BT will reduce the FTTC migration cost to £11 like it currently is for ADSL, very soon, as its the same process and all automated, ie no engineer activity or cabinet/exchange work takes place, it's all just software routing changes.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-12 20:42:13
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

When I migrated from A&A to BT Infinity it only cost me £1 from A&A and I didn't have to pay BT anything.
There are a few of us who have done this now, there are some newer posts made, but sorry I'm on a mobile and didn't have time to search but it's in one my posts made a few months ago to help out another member who left Idnet to go to Infinity.

A MAC code was required.
Standard User thorice
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:21:57
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

adsl24 i am looking at ur fttc products and doing my research. ur a small company but do you actually work their as you say technical director but ur not accordin to companies house, apperently you left in 2007. i dont want to join u then you vanish in few mnths. wots the crack
Standard User hareng
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:57:51
Print Post

[re: thorice] [link to this post]

I can assure you James took over 5 years ago and been there ever since. Phone up and it stands a good chance you will speak to him.
Standard User Dilbert
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-12 23:13:31
Print Post

I moved from Aquiss FTTC Business to BT Infinity in February and the move was smooth except for quite a bit of confusion at BT on whether I would need an engineer visit or not.

Initially I was told I would need an engineer visit even though they didn't seem to know why but I said no problem with that as I needed my fibre modem changing over anyway as it was one of the originals that supposedly had an overheating problem.

Change over day came and my connection was down first thing in the morning so I stuck the new BT login details in my router and got connected no problem.

Engineer never turned up and then I had a bit of a mare explaining to support that I was connected OK but still needed my modem changing. Several phone calls later I did manage to finally get someone to come out and change it.

Apart from the confusion during the changeover process I have been very pleased with the swap to BT. Aquiss have great support and generous downloads during off peak hours but at times during peak hours or very busy periods of net usage (Andy Murray playing tennis in Australia for example) their network would get very very slow. On 40Mb fibre I had a few occasions where i couldn't even get 1Mb down. Price wise its obviously also very tough to compete with BT which was one my main drivers for moving.

If support is a big thing for you though, I don't think you would find any better than Aquiss, Martin is always quick and spot on with technical help.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to