General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jul-11 10:19:56
Print Post

30th September 2011 FTTC

[link to this post]

So initially the BT checker said March 2011 for FTTC cab enablement, then it pushed it back to June, then July and then now currently shown is September. However I know it takes around 3 months prior to the date shown on the website for new cabs to show up in the area, and I have seen nothing at all yet. Does this mean BT will again change the date on the BT ADSL checker and if so when do they make changes on the checker? (every quartely or monthly?)

Thanks.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 22-Jul-11 11:25:24
Print Post

Re: 30th September 2011 FTTC

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

They tend to push the dates back by a quater 2 weeks before that date is reached.

If no cabinets have started springing up yet then it will definately be pushed back to December as it takes about 3 months for the cab to be fully installed once the ground work has started.

My cab was started in May and I still can't order Infinity.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-11 11:32:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
So initially the BT checker said March 2011 for FTTC cab enablement, then it pushed it back to June, then July and then now currently shown is September. However I know it takes around 3 months prior to the date shown on the website for new cabs to show up in the area, and I have seen nothing at all yet. Does this mean BT will again change the date on the BT ADSL checker and if so when do they make changes on the checker? (every quartely or monthly?)

Thanks.

The go live date for WWEXTR was initially planned for 30th September 2010 under Phase 5a, however cabs only started appearing a couple of weeks ago and the date is currently planned for 30th September 2011 - a year behind so far.

Wouldn't hold your breath wink

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Justo
(learned) Fri 22-Jul-11 12:29:52
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
it takes about 3 months for the cab to be fully installed once the ground work has started.

Do you have anything that references this timeframe as I'd be interested to know why it takes that long.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 22-Jul-11 14:25:38
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

References are from the BT Infinity forum from people who have marked the time from their cab being started from going live.

A friend of mine who works for BT middle management says that the power companies said they could do it all within a certain timeframe and now have trouble keeping up.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Fri 22-Jul-11 17:48:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The time frame will vary as much from cab to cab as from exchange to exchange. If a cab is among the 1st to be installed in an area then it maybe many weeks, even months before service is available. If its one of the last then it could be just aa little as a couple of weeks.
Delays are numerous but the majority are likely to be availability of sufficient engineering resources, either contractor or direct labour (I hear Openreach is still struggling to manage their day to day workload continuing to use contract work to boost their direct labour force, whilst at the same time reducing their headcount!) , insufficient duct space / blockages, planning / streetworks delays by local authourities , in addition to power connection dealys.

Edited by Ribble (Fri 22-Jul-11 20:03:35)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jul-11 23:00:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
So initially the BT checker said March 2011 for FTTC cab enablement, then it pushed it back to June, then July and then now currently shown is September. However I know it takes around 3 months prior to the date shown on the website for new cabs to show up in the area, and I have seen nothing at all yet.

My cab was March 2011, then June 2011, now 30th September 2011. I know the far end of the main road had a nice new 288 connection Huawei (the big ones) installed in June. The other far end had a small (tiny) cabinet installed in May. The middle of the (long) road is still waiting frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jul-11 23:14:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well we're a little ahead then.
All cabinets in town are in (only ones which aren't are the ones they're not doing - including, bizarrely, one at the other end of our estate - which has been built for around 5 years so I doubt BT haven't updated a database yet).

Our date, having been pushed back about six times (was originally supposed to be last December) has now been moved forward (yes; FORWARD!!!!) from Sept 30th to Sept 1st. I'm yet to be convinced it'll actually happen!

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Mon 25-Jul-11 08:15:07
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

3 months seems to be a commonly-quoted average. Equally-commonly quoted is the fact that the sticking point seems to be power connections.

Some of the delays will come from the statutory delays mandated by planning notifications (but you obviously aren't aware of this delay, as it comes before any site work), and similar delays in planning for roadworks (even if just on the path). Those pesky rules that force utilities to co-ordinate roadworks forces the delays...

Figure that it needs at least 3 separate site visits that must wait for these periods: A site build, a fibre feed, and a power feed, and you can easily see why the delays easily mount up. The utilities also face penalty fines if they don't finish roadworks on time: this means that any small problem will result in them sealing things up, and starting a new month-long notification period, in preference to coming back tomorrow to fix things but paying a fine.

And all that assumes that the power company or contractor *can* come back in a month.

Our cabinet was first due for the power roadworks in October last year, and expected to go live in November or December. In December, it looked like they dug a trench for power to a nearby lit Give-Way sign. In February, they were back with more roadworks - this time across the main road. Then in March there was another set - but this time along the path without crossing the road.
Standard User Wizen
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 08:43:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

This is a little off topic, so please forgive me.

Does anyone know roughly how often the "public" BT checker and PDF resources are updated? From what I can tell, the Openreach "When can I get it" PDF is updated around every month, but there are loads of other checkers and resources out there that seem much more out of date. The checker I'm most interested in is the BT Wholesale checker. I'm expecting my enablement date to change from Sep 30th to something sooner any day now, as all the cabinets that applied for planning are in, the black/yellow fibre has been installed in many of them and the ones that have fibre also have power as of 2 weeks ago (mine included). I'm willing to bet my cabinet is RFS, but all the checkers aren't updated yet, but I can't be sure.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to