General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User m00g
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-11 07:25:36
Print Post

BT Speedchecker Accuracy - New Install

[link to this post]

Hi All! Thanks for reading.

I 'm still deciding between BT and VM.

I put in my postcode/address into the BT checker and it came up with

"Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 34.6 Mbps and upstream line speed of 8.6 Mbps."

Speeds on surrounding streets (on U-Switch) show some BT connections at up to 34Mbps.

What are my chances of getting close to maximum (how reliable are the BT checker results?)? Should I proceed with confidence? I guess I"m concerned RE the 1.5-5Mbps estimate for ADSL2+ . . . .

Thanks in advance,
m00g
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 08:18:36
Print Post

Re: BT Speedchecker Accuracy - New Install

[re: m00g] [link to this post]

BT estimates are usually over cautious.

But if you never had BB at a property you'll never know till yiu install it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User cmn
(member) Sat 23-Jul-11 08:32:06
Print Post

I'd say you have a very good chance, my estimate was 27.8 and got the full 39999 sync.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-11 09:14:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by m00g:
Hi All! Thanks for What are my chances of getting close to maximum (how reliable are the BT checker results?)? Should I proceed with confidence? I guess I"m concerned RE the 1.5-5Mbps estimate for ADSL2+

The 1.5 to 5Mbps probably just means you're a fair way from the exchange and will be completely unrelated to the FTTC (BT's 'Infinity' product is one option) speed you'll get, which is governed by the distance from your home to the local street cabinet.

Has FTTC actually been enabled yet (in your area)?
I ask because entering a postcode into the BT checker gives the response "your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband......" in areas which are either already enabled or due to be enabled soon (ours has been giving this result for around 6 months yet we still haven't been enabled).
Only entering an actual phone number (served by your local cabinet) will confirm 100% if fibre is already available.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:14:44
Print Post

Should be around the estimate. You won't end up on 20Mbit for example.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
  Print Thread

Jump to