General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rtcw
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:03:18
Print Post

When will BT announce next phase fibre roll out?

[link to this post]

As far as I know, there's only fibre roll out information till March 2012 and nothing else after that.

I wanted to know when they're revealing the information of fibre roll out in summer 2012? 'Cause my exchange might be one of 'em.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:09:41
Print Post

Re: When will BT announce next phase fibre roll out?

[re: rtcw] [link to this post]

I think the short answer is when they get round to it. Most companies like to make big announcement when financial results are due.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 23-Jul-11 16:10:04)

Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 24-Jul-11 12:33:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I think BT have already announced their 2012 rollout in that the current dates will be slipped by 3 months every 3 months way into 2014.

The less they announce the less people will be disappointed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 10:52:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by rtcw:
As far as I know, there's only fibre roll out information till March 2012 and nothing else after that.

I wanted to know when they're revealing the information of fibre roll out in summer 2012? 'Cause my exchange might be one of 'em.

it seems BT arent capable of thinking./planning past a year or 2, short termist company.

I think they should announce entire rollout plan so every area knows where they stand but a company like BT wont do that.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:27:54
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So that their competition know exactly what they're doing and plan accordingly to jump in first? This isn't a state monopoly any more. They have to compete.

As a former employee I'm aware of the flaws in BT planning but also know they don't just do it week to week or month to month.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:45:01
Print Post

When they can forecast it with any certainty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:42:10
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

The moans about dates slipping will make them a lot less likely to announce large batches, and only announce once they are more sure about hitting the dates.

It is also possible that priorities may have being switching about based on the levels of take-up of the product, in the different types of areas of the UK.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:44:18
Print Post

If any firm can only secure firm finding for 12 to 24 months then that is all they can commit too.

If BT are to be forced to announce the entire roll-out plan, what will they be given in return for this information? As a PLC they have a duty to their shareholders.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 26-Jul-11 09:25:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

it seems BT arent capable of thinking./planning past a year or 2, short termist company.

I think they should announce entire rollout plan so every area knows where they stand but a company like BT wont do that.

You try managing a project the size of the fibre roll-out ...

Geographically diverse, manpower availability always changing, local authorities causing problems, other network faults needing priority resolution, &c &c. It is a massive project with so many variables that cannot be accurately predicted at the start and everything will change as it progresses.

The project plan is almost certainly all there over a 5 year period with product road-maps for the next 10 years - no way is it short term. There is probably more information with approximate dates - but why should BT publish it and give competitors an advantage? In fact why do they need to publish any dates? They could just publish it 1 week before go-live on each exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:29:12
Print Post

"Are we there yet?"

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to