General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-11 14:03:35
Print Post

Exactly what hardware do I get/need to provide?

[link to this post]

So now I'm out of contract with my current ISP I'm very tempted to go to FTTC. Looking at the spreadsheet BT seem to work out the cheapest by quite a long way given the free setup and free hardware.

My question, and something I'm still not entirely clear on, is what kind of mess/tangle of cables and boxes will I end up with when the engineer comes and does his thing? I don't really want to be turning the lounge or bedroom (where there are two separate phone lines) into a mini server-closet.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-11 14:09:54
Print Post

Re: Exactly what hardware do I get/need to provide?

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hutchingsp:
So now I'm out of contract with my current ISP I'm very tempted to go to FTTC. Looking at the spreadsheet BT seem to work out the cheapest by quite a long way given the free setup and free hardware.

My question, and something I'm still not entirely clear on, is what kind of mess/tangle of cables and boxes will I end up with when the engineer comes and does his thing? I don't really want to be turning the lounge or bedroom (where there are two separate phone lines) into a mini server-closet.

BT will send you a HomeHub 3 and the Openreach engineer will bring the VDSL modem with him/her on the day of install. So you need two power points, one for the modem and the other for the HomeHub. There is an ethernet cable between modem and HH and of course the cable from the BT socket to the modem.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 24-Jul-11 14:10:17
Print Post

You will end with an Openreach VDSL modem which connecst to the the phone socket and (if you choose BT Infinity) a Home Hub wireless router which connects to the Openreach modem by an ethernet cable.
You will require 2 mains power sockets for both the Openreach modem and the router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-11 14:14:59
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Thanks both. That's ridiculous. 2011 and 2 boxes and 2 mains sockets for a broadband connection. "Progress" laugh
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Jul-11 15:46:12
Print Post

What hasn't been mentioned is that you won't have a dangly filter - the engineer will fit a rather bulky filtered faceplate - see pic on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-11 17:45:14
Print Post

Why is that ridiculous ? The separate modem requires one power supply. The router requires another. You can buy yourself a combined modem router, but they are expensive. The modem is Openreach's property, after that, it belongs to you or your service provider.

You 'fancy' the service, but are moaning about the kit required ??? No pleasing some folk.

With a little forethought, you can have the modem placed somewhere out of sight......

Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-11 17:59:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm assuming that most people still have their master socket in their hallway or in their living room. Hallway's don't tend to have lots of power sockets because they're hallways, living rooms do but people tend not to like wires everywhere.

It's 2011, we should be moving towards less boxes and wires not more.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Sun 24-Jul-11 20:39:24
Print Post

The FTTC connection will terminate on a new socket so its up to you where this goes, within reason. Suggest you opt for somewhere in close proximity to two mains sockets.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 24-Jul-11 20:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by hutchingsp:
Thanks both. That's ridiculous. 2011 and 2 boxes and 2 mains sockets for a broadband connection. "Progress" laugh

I agree. It's a step backwards, and is less economical.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Jul-11 22:16:13
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
The FTTC connection will terminate on a new socket so its up to you where this goes, within reason.
Errr, No! It will normally terminate on a replacement faceplate on the master socket, as I explained to the OP earlier.

It is possible to get it terminated up to 30 metres away using a Openreach Data Extension Kit which the engineer should have available. In fact I believe further is possible but that is the length of the one they carry. That used to be free but something at the back of my mind says it may now be chargeable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to