General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User heathrow
(newbie) Mon 01-Aug-11 22:56:04
Print Post

Dodgy BT marketing, broadband checker...

[link to this post]

So following on from the saga of the broadband checker losing me, I've received a letter from BT flogging me Infinity.

Why is this dodgy?

a) Checking on the infinity website, the checker says that FTTC will not be rolled out in the next six months.

b) The letter says I have to switch away from current provider. Excuse me? The rollout of FTTC is Openreach; why have BT retail got information that I currently have broadband? I'm with AAISP.. Do ISPs have a list of who has broadband? I really think this is one for Ofcom to investigate. The letter should be from Openreach and should encourage me to adopt FTTC - but on a non-discriminatory basis...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:11:55
Print Post

Re: Dodgy BT marketing, broadband checker...

[re: heathrow] [link to this post]

Every website you visit can see your IP Address at the time. So the Infinity checker sees it.

All IP addresses identify the underlying ISP.

Simples, unfortunately.

Given your postcode we can check more accurately the FTTC schedule for it, as the Infinity checker is specifically for that product, and subject to Marketing control, not Openreach FTTC in general.

As an alternative to, or as well as, posting your postcode, this checker using your phone number is the next best thing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:16:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

According to the OP:
b) The letter says I have to switch away from current provider.
He's not on an LLU product (unless I'm not up to date with the AAISP range) so that's a downright lie, and worthy of a letter to Ofcom imho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... _______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:27:29
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

If the user put in their number to the Infinity checker, surely they can match this to their own records and see if the number is with them already and state he needs to switch to get the service?

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:29:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
According to the OP:
b) The letter says I have to switch away from current provider.
He's not on an LLU product (unless I'm not up to date with the AAISP range) so that's a downright lie, and worthy of a letter to Ofcom imho.

Why? "Infinity" is BT Retail's product. So what they have stated is correct.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:32:08
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
If the user put in their number to the Infinity checker, surely they can match this to their own records and see if the number is with them already and state he needs to switch to get the service?

Matt
But as Bob said- they can check his IP to find out who he is with already, and it's AAISP. You don't need to switch away from AAISP to get FTTC, and although it would be necessary to switch to get Infinity, the difference is so slight that it's definitely misleading marketing.

Again, imho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... _______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:34:39
Print Post

This argument has been had before though.

BT are stating that the user needs to move to them, to get Infinity. That is correct. I doubt the letter states that they're only the ones that can provide a fibre services.

At the end of the day, it is about who has the most money. If any other ISP wanted to put similar ads on the TV, or do massive mail drops about their own product, the end result would be the same.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:39:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

OK, so it's legal.

The morality of it basically confirms my opinion of BT Retail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:39:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by uno:

Matt
But as Bob said- they can check his IP to find out who he is with already, and it's AAISP. You don't need to switch away from AAISP to get FTTC, and although it would be necessary to switch to get Infinity, the difference is so slight that it's definitely misleading marketing.

Again, imho.

Which part of "I've received a letter from BT flogging me Infinity" gives you the impression that AAISP are selling Infinity or any other ISP other than BT Retail are selling a product called Infinity or that the OP would not have to move to BT to get BT Infinity.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:44:06
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Because of their near-monopoly position, Radio Times are required to state that "Other listing magazines are available".

Why should BT be able to take advantage of its complete monopoly of the FTTC market to squeeze out other suppliers?

I thought they welcomed competition...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to