General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:10:07
Print Post

Well now I've gone and done it!

[link to this post]

It's seems BT Retail's 'jump the gun' e-mail the other day turned out to be correct.
OK; the e-mail came through three days before the BT Wholesale checker was updated (a bit of inside knowledge perhaps).

FTTC has now been enabled 4 weeks early (OK; not really 'early' as it should have been last December).

Despite my better judgement I've now placed an order for a new phone line (currently F.O.C) and BT Infinity.
Connection appointment is 1 to 6pm on Monday August 22nd (hope I don't have to cancel it due to a sudden trip away).

So here's hoping BT Infinity doesn't turn out to be a crock of poo.

What have I done? Still; at least with a new line install I can leave my BE connection in place on the old 'phone line until I'm happy Infinity won't be throttled to death.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:26:37
Print Post

Re: Well now I've gone and done it!

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

yep you should be happy with it come the 22nd smile did you get a rough idea of the speed you will get on the day
Standard User cjbell68
(regular) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:32:21
Print Post

Well done Ade - good luck with the install - don't forget to go shopping for essential "engineer supplies" before the day!

I had a planned date of 1st September, others currently have 30th September and I was able to order this morning laugh (probably switched over last night according to our village forum).

I've gone with Plusnet - mainly because my estimate is just under the 15mbps. I checked with BT but sadly they've put the price of option 3 with fibre up to £28. Coupled with line rental it would weigh in at £41.90 - so I've gone the Plusnet route to dip my toe in the water.

Chose the value product at £16.49 for the broadband bit (didn't want to take a punt on a higher line speed and fight for a re-grade with BT later on!)

Colin

plusnet

Edited by cjbell68 (Thu 04-Aug-11 18:33:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:46:13
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Johnct:
did you get a rough idea of the speed you will get on the day

The checker estimates 32Mbps but I'm probably only 160 to 200 metres (cable length) from the cabinet, so I should get full speed (and then some when BT switch profiles - hopefully next year).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:55:29
Print Post

i think you will get full speed and i think bt is to switch profiles from october this year alough it could take a few months before we get the faster speeds .
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Aug-11 21:13:50
Print Post

As one of the longer time (longest?) users of BT infinity on these forums - it's brilliant.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Aug-11 21:33:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
The checker estimates 32Mbps but I'm probably only 160 to 200 metres (cable length) from the cabinet, so I should get full speed (and then some when BT switch profiles - hopefully next year).

The checker gave an estimate on 31.6/7.5 for me but I have a full 40/10 sync. I think that I am just under 200m line length too. I paced out the most probable route from the cab ( following an obvious filled trench across the road and the BT manhole covers).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-11 18:34:23
Print Post

Good luck Ade. I am sure it'll be fine.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Aug-11 18:38:47
Print Post

Just uploaded a pic of a test torrent download i'm running of ubuntu. As you can see it's running at an acceptable speed. Sure, it isn't megabytes per second but not exactly crippled either - and this is 6.30 on a saturday evening.

http://i.imgur.com/oPiPL.jpg

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 20:33:01
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
As you can see it's running at an acceptable speed.

Not sure I'd call 3.8Mbps (from a 40Mbps product) acceptable, I might as well have stayed put on a 4.6Mbps BE connection (which also downloads at around 3.8Mbps).

I hope this 90% speed drop is due to you downloading via torrents (which are traditionally rubbish) and not the fact BT have so little capacity their 40Mbps product slows down, during peak times, to half that of an 8Mbps ADSL1 connection!

So much for my theory a heavily throttled BT 40Mbps connection would still be faster than an unthrottled 4.6Mbps BE connection (because it clearly isn't) frown

EDIT: Starting to think I've made a huge mistake (I'm still in a cooling off period, should I want to back out now).
It's a good job I'm also keeping my BE connection, I could bridge the two together and use BT's 40Mbps product to double the speed of my BE connection to 8Mbps tongue

EDIT2: Just as a comparison; your 40Mbps Infinity connection is downloading Ubuntu (albeit via Torrents) at 479kB/s and my 4.6Mbps ADSL2 BE connection is downloading it from an Ubuntu server at 498kB/s..........Do you still think your speed is acceptable?
http://i.imgur.com/PRgND.jpg

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 06-Aug-11 20:50:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to