General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-11 22:35:17
Print Post

VDSL2 at 4000+ ft worth it?

[link to this post]

I was just looking at Digital Region's FTTC roll out program and they are coming to my area in September. So I sent off an email to them asking what cabinet I would be connected to if I was to sign up. Unfortunately the cabinet that is at the end of my road 400-500 ft away isn't the one they listed. Instead they mentioned one that is about 4000 ft following the roads. So now I don't know if there's much point in going for it. Any ideas what kind of speeds I'd be getting on that kind of loop length?

(committed) Mon 08-Aug-11 22:59:59
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 at 4000+ ft worth it?

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

I hope I'm not going to show my ignorance here, but for FTTC you would be connected to the same cabinet as you are now. With the speed you are getting on ADSL, your loop isn't 4000ft long!

I suspect that FTTC will come from your existing cabinet and I would guess that you would get full speed. What does the BT checker say about your FTTC speed?

Regards,

Felix
Standard User NuttyMucker
(regular) Mon 08-Aug-11 23:12:47
Print Post

Hi, I am nearly 6800ft (1.3 miles) away from the fibre cabinet and get 16Mb down and just over 1Mb up. Hopefully the upload speed will increase as the line only went live on Friday and still in training mode.
As Felix said your cabinet is probably much closer but there are so many variables like with all lines ie the route it does take before getting to your premises and quality of the line.
The chances are you could get a great speed but until stats appear on the checker one will never know smile

Forgot to add. For me it is worth it as I was only getting a miserable 1Mb download before last Friday but horses for courses. It will depend on what you need it for as in your signature you appear to be getting a good speed already

Edited by NuttyMucker (Mon 08-Aug-11 23:14:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-11 23:35:14
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FelixTCat:
I hope I'm not going to show my ignorance here, but for FTTC you would be connected to the same cabinet as you are now. With the speed you are getting on ADSL, your loop isn't 4000ft long!

I suspect that FTTC will come from your existing cabinet and I would guess that you would get full speed. What does the BT checker say about your FTTC speed?

Regards,

Felix

I haven't edited my sig since i joined o2. My actual connection speeds are 6Mb/1Mb on ADSL2+ When you consider ADSL2+ max speed is 24Mb, my line isn't a complete disaster, but it's not great - Following the roads to the cabinet I've been quoted is around .8 miles or over 4,000 ft.

BTW, when i said loop I meant to the cabinet not back to the exchange. I'm guestimating 11,000-13,000 ft to my exchange by road.

Edited by LeJimster (Tue 09-Aug-11 00:00:46)

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-11 23:44:37
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

I've been trying to check various sources for loop length and rates on VDSL2+. They don't seem to match up however.

I've seen the max rates 100Mb symmetrical touted for upto 1000-2000 ft. 50 Mb for 3,200 ft and then it slowly degrading. So I guess 40Mb is theoretically possible at 4,000+ ft. But I doubt I'd be so lucky.

Annoyingly there is a Digital Region cabinet located 1,000 ft away from me at the far end of my road, which would be more ideal. But it doesn't appear I'd be connected to that one. =(

I just refuse to pay £75 installation fee and £25 a month and not be getting full benefits of a FTTC connection. So I will probably wait on my current connection until something changes for the better.

Edited by LeJimster (Mon 08-Aug-11 23:57:59)

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 06:47:28
Print Post

I might have been wrong about the distance from my house to the cab after all. I'm not sure how i got 4000+ feet before. I've just checked again and measured the distance the longest way but most direct by car and it came up at 650-700 meters or 2132-2296 ft - which is much much more acceptable. At this distance 40Mb is achievable as is 50Mb maybe even as far as 80Mb under perfect conditions.

Still who knows where my telephone line runs it might follow the route I've plotted.

Interestingly, I checked ADSL24's website to see what predicted speeds I would get on FTTC and it guestimated 25Mb down 5Mb up. So I'm not sure where this info is being generated from.

(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Aug-11 08:02:35
Print Post

I'm 330 metres from the cabinet (cable run) and get an IP profile of 37.7 down and 10 up if that's any help............

My actual speeds (using Speedtest.net) are 37450 down and 8250 up.

If you know the actual route the cable run takes (using inspection/manhoile covers etc), it's pretty easy to plot it on Google Earth if pacing it is difficult due to traffic etc.

Edit : bit more detail........

Edited by Garyilka (Tue 09-Aug-11 08:29:46)

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Tue 09-Aug-11 14:37:15
Print Post

You might get 40/10 if the copper is decent quality.

I get 40/10 sync @ 800 meters.
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 16:42:37
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Keep posting your distance/sync speeds folks. It's always nice to see what the probability is on getting the speeds I desire.

The relief is that 40Mb does seem possible now depending on the quality of my line (so fingers crossed that I've got a good line). I've been dreaming of a 100Mb symetrical connection for years - but that does appear to be out of reach for the near future. 40Mb rising to a potential 80Mb in the future is more than acceptable however =) and would be worth the price increase over the 6Mb I'm currently paying for.

Edited by LeJimster (Tue 09-Aug-11 16:42:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Aug-11 17:01:11
Print Post

I paced the length to mine at around 550m, including the distance/route between the 2 cabs,and the height of the pole and from there to the master socket.

The engineer's kit reported 0.6km and 39996/10000kbps. IP Profiles are 38717/10000.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to