General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rodhall
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 08:53:11
Print Post

FTTC in my village

[link to this post]

Hi

BT have finally installed FTTC in my village after a huge campaign on facebook and dozens of emails to BT to get this installed...Good news so i thought....the boxes have now been installed and 95% of the village now has 40 down 10 up!!!! woooo but i cannot get it, i got a response saying that it would not be able to install fttc to my house as it is direct to exchange!!! [censored]????? what can be done? i have emailed BT back more than 5 times to get them to respond and they are ignoring me.... what can be done???
Standard User rodhall
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 08:57:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC in my village

[re: rodhall] [link to this post]

In fact this is their exact statement.... quote..

I've just heard back from BT Wholesale this morning, and this is what they have to say:

"Line characteristics is showing the correct results, as there is no PCP (primary Connection Point) in the routing of line 0191377**** i.e. the Cable from exchange goes directly to the Distribution Point, not via a cabinet."

So, as mentioned, the line to your premises is an exchange only line and doesn't go through a cabinet, therefore I'm afraid you won't be able to receive FTTC at all at your current premises.

Hopefully this clarifies matters for you but if you have any other questions feel free to reply.

Kind regards,

Dean
BTCare Forum Moderator
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:04:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodhall:
what can be done?

The wiring standards - ANFP - are the thing that prevents FTTC running from the exchange building - it disallows the higher VDSL frequencies. BT alone cannot change this - it will need you to pursue this with NICC and Ofcom, but I wouldn't hold out much hope - but it might get you a better explanation of *why*.

Are you close to the exchange? Directly-wired lines are usually close. And if so... you should get a decent speed on ADSL2+.

Another solution would be to ask if BT can install a new line - that isn't directly wired - so you can get FTTC on it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:06:21
Print Post

As it says, there is no cabinet for your line/address so you will not be able to receive FTTC services.
Standard User rodhall
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:12:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

sounds like i am screwed really!!!!! i just cant beleive it...... i am about 300m to the next new green BT cabinet!!!!! my neighbour( about 100m away has FTTC) and i cant get it!!!

Edited by rodhall (Sat 13-Aug-11 10:14:13)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:56:01
Print Post

This is one of the big problems with FTTC.

Exchange lines "E0 lines" will not get FTTC also conservation areas often town centres (even new builds in town centres) will not see FTTC.

The good news is that places that can't get FTTC might one day get FTTH. Although "might" being the key word, could be 5 years, 20 years or more.

Do you get less than 2Mbps currently? If so something might be done in the next 3 years assuming you're not the only property with an E0 line.

If you get more than 15Mbps you'll probably be ignored for the next 3-5 years.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Sat 13-Aug-11 11:04:23)

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 13-Aug-11 12:07:06
Print Post

What's your current speed?
Standard User rodhall
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 12:24:18
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

it goes from around 3-7.5Mbs at the moment...
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 13-Aug-11 12:24:55
Print Post

Sync speed? Router stats?
Standard User rodhall
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 15:00:20
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

sory what do you need??