General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ccomley
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 10:49:05
Print Post

Alternatives to BT's VDSL modem

[link to this post]

Forum newbie so sorry if this info is posted somewhere... (I did have a good look around first honest!)

It would be really useful to have a list of devices which can be used in place of BT's supplied modem. I found the thread about the Fritzbox. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Either for a combined router/modem or for just a different modem folk can try if the BT one proves unreliable...

Cheers.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 11:04:28
Print Post

Re: Alternatives to BT's VDSL modem

[re: ccomley] [link to this post]

There was a thread a few weeks ago on alternative Modems to BT, but you need to do your own search.

What's wrong with the Modem; ok, it's unreliable (on my second one), but it's free to replace. Just have to suffer the down time.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-11 11:16:19
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4031694-rec...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccomley
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 12:04:06
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

What's wrong? Well, it's unrelable, and you have to suffer the downtime whilst they replace it. You may not see this as a problem but I do and most of our customers are business users who will too. So that's one reason that's at least good enough on it's own.

A second, less vital one, is folk are used to a single device acting as modem/router/firewall with DSL, so moving to a two-device setup is annoying, if not technically taxing.

If you are happy with the modem as shipped than fine - meantime my question stands! smile
Standard User ccomley
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 12:19:18
Print Post

Hah - searching the forum for older info is a LOT easier now I've found how to set the thread modes properly. Wonder why th defaults are so ghastlywierd.
Standard User EFL
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 13:26:30
Print Post

My name is Andrew and I work for Electronic Frontier Ltd. We are ZyXEL's largest, and only value-added, distributor in the UK.

BT are not yet offering a wires-only FTTC/Infinity service so, unfortunately, third party VDSL CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) is not supported.

I full expect a wires-only service to be available in the next 18 months, but we will have to wait and see.

If anyone has any questions about this, or any other ZyXEL-related issue, please PM me.

Regards

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Aug-11 16:02:50
Print Post

[re: EFL] [link to this post]

There is a real risk if doing this change to custom hardware for third parties when wires-only is not supported, that people will report a fault, and when the Openreach engineer arrives, sees non-standard hardware and simply leaves, marking sheet to suggest fault is with customers hardware, and thus raising an expensive visit charge.

It is very important that when an engineer visits that if people are using their own VDSL modem, they have the original hardware working, and showing exactly the same problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Edge
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 17:24:03
Print Post

In my experience, BT were very quick to replace my original VDSL modem which went faulty, although someone had to be at the house for an engineer visit (why they couldn't just post it and send a returns bag for the old one I don't know).

We work from home a lot here, so I feel a lot happier having a backup modem/router such as this one smile

Edited by Edge (Wed 17-Aug-11 17:27:00)

Standard User billionuk
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 17:41:55
Print Post

The Billion 8200N works fine as a replacement to the BT VDSL modem.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-11 19:46:42
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

What's wrong with the Modem; ok, it's unreliable (on my second one),

To this end, they are now shipping version 2 modems, the fault on the originals have been traced to the goo beneath the heat sink(sic) not being thick enough and causing the overheating problems.

That said, mine has run fault free since last November, the secret being having it mounted upright.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to