General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TallyHo
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:07:09
Print Post

Fibre - Ethernet over fibre (or copper)

[link to this post]

Hi there, I'm looking for 'busines solution in my locale - Maidenhead SL6 3HY - currently 'struggling on a 2Mb DSL connection that drops out too often. We want and need greather bandwidth so a 10Mb connection over ethernet will do nicely, preferably fibre.
Can any kind soul share experiences in the vicinity or post up a linky to a search for providers of this business level connectivity?
We are not as far as I know going to be early adopters of the wonderous Infinity product despite numerous technology businesses in the area, D'oh'BT ??!!

Tally Ho
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:14:02
Print Post

Re: Fibre - Ethernet over fibre (or copper)

[re: TallyHo] [link to this post]

Most above miniscule technology businesses will already be using Ethernet over fibre, or leased lines.

For business use you get much better contention etc, and better support levels.

http://www.aa.nu/ethernet.html handy estimate of cost, £1000 per month.

Also talk to people like http://www.fluidata.co.uk/connectivity/ who do bonding, i.e. 3 or 4 slower ADSL lines, can be bonded to meet and exceed your 10Mbps requirement.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TallyHo
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:34:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for the that swift repsonse.

Much appreciated
Tally Ho!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 15:31:25
Print Post

[re: TallyHo] [link to this post]

There's also the option of EFM (Ethernet in the First Mile) now - which uses several copper pairs to the premises. Akin to bonding multiple ADSL lines but delivers an ethernet presention and is symetrical speed wise.

I understand it is less costly than a leased line but no idea about reliability etc. I've also never seen it in service anywhere. Googling "EFM (Ethernet in the First Mile)" returns plenty of info and providers' links. It's a fairly new product and seems quite niche at the moment so I'm not sure how much real world user experience / feedback you will be able to find.
  Print Thread

Jump to