General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MissSmithee
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 15:13:02
Print Post

Change in BT policy?

[link to this post]

Recently when investigating a client fault, a BT engineer told me they "don't support W2008 servers on a standard ADSL Business Broadband line. Only one modem and one PC."
This is strange as I have at least one client who was sold multi IP addresses for his network over an 8m ADSL service which only provided 5m.
Could this be linked with Fibre promoted as a multi-user service?

Becase fibre is really 15 mb, even if you can reach the DSLAM from your office window, we're recommending clients stick with DSL until the contract terms state you get service for what the line supports. Right now when desperate housewifes are surfing "findmeatoyboy.com" fibre becomes more like "desperate broadband!".

But joking aside; are BT changing the terms for ADSL? Is it now a single user service?

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to stiff you.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 22-Aug-11 15:29:51
Print Post

Re: Change in BT policy?

[re: MissSmithee] [link to this post]

Support is the key word. They are not stopping people have several PCs on a small network but if there are problems they will only provide support to the level of getting the connection working satisfactorily to single PCs connected to the router. If a user had Win Server then it will be up to them to configure and run it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-11 15:30:44
Print Post

Just because they don't "support it" it doesn't mean it can't be used for the purpose.

I'm not sure what you mean by "because fibre is really 15mb" ?

Most people get the full 40mb sync resulting in 35+ download speeds.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 16:56:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If a user had Win Server then it will be up to them to configure and run it.
Well yes. Tbh I'm not sure what BT are talking about here. I've set up more Windows domains than I care to remember (a sad requirement of the client/server applications I write) and I always leave the clients to get their IP address from the company DHCP server. If I was setting up a domain at home or a small office I'd do much the same thing. The only difference between a domain and a workgroup configuration would be that all the workstations in a domain would have the server as their primary DNS rather than the router. Other than that it's business as usual.

You can have the Windows server get more involved in IP addressing but there seems little point to me unless you're operating multiple subnets. I can understand BT not wanting to support that configuration simply because of the internal complexity. But does BT Broadband cover internal network support? I'd have thought it stopped at the router and all they wanted was one machine to control or request diagnostics on. Windows Server 2008 is no different to any other in that respect.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Mon 22-Aug-11 16:58:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Aug-11 17:10:46
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Aren't you reading too much into the beginning of the opening post? "BT" haven't said anything smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 18:01:08
Print Post

A BT engineer recently told me that he didn't know what "WBC" was, so go figure!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Mon 22-Aug-11 19:47:38
Print Post

Becase fibre is really 15 mb

Not true, this is the minimum speed, there is no reason to think that all lines run at this speed - mine is more than twice as fast, the UK average according to Ofcom, was over 30Mb when I last checked. The minimum guaranteed throughput with the business product is 12Mbps, I'm not sure there is an equivalent for ADSL?

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)

Edited by New_Londoner (Tue 23-Aug-11 07:27:25)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Aug-11 20:14:37
Print Post

Well you have answered your own question. I installed a few infinity business lines in a premises and the end user was quite dissatisfied that I wouldn't configure the firewall, static IPs and email server for him.
I advised him that the product (engineer install) was for us to support installing the OR modem, a business hub, and getting one pc working (although you can pay for more, or xbox / ps3 ipad, BTvision etc).

So it could well be very true that the engineer was only there to support one hub and one PC. Of course if the ISP (BT) has sold static IPs then it is up to them to give the EU support to configure. If he wanted his firewall and email server set up then he should DIY it or call in the IT dept / contractor; but the fact that the Openreach engineer doesn't do this does not mean the service is not compatible.

And the 15meg throughput is guaranteed at handover level and is a worst case speed, as most have stated they see very much higher speeds in reality. What speed are your customers guaranteed using adsl?

I would certainly recommend the upgrade for business users - the extra upload is worth admission price alone imo.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 23-Aug-11 01:51:05
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

I thought 15Mbps was the minimum connection speed on Infinity. Not the minimum throughput. That I believe to be 12Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 07:28:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You're quite right, should have checked, have edited accordingly.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to