General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 17:35:33
Print Post

Will I get FTTP?

[link to this post]

Ok, apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I don't think I've seen it: according to that spreadsheet, my cab is down to be FTTP. Putting aside the uncertainties around the whole process, does this mean that I am certain to get FTTP, or might some served by the cab get FTTC? Or, indeed, would you have a choice?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Aug-11 17:43:19
Print Post

Re: Will I get FTTP?

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

There are two numbers towards the right on the spreadsheet. One is small, and shows the speed multiple expected. The other is the percentage of the lines served by that cabinet.

The fact that your cabinet is enabled for FTTP wouldn't mean anything changed for you unless you ordered an FTTP product. Just like on FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Mon 22-Aug-11 17:50:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

well it shows 100% (0,100,51.02,6b,Yes,FTTP). So that mean that everyone served by the cab will only have the option to order FTTP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Aug-11 18:16:41
Print Post

That's how I understand it, yes. When phase 6b of FTTP will be is another question frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Mon 22-Aug-11 23:53:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisadsl:
well it shows 100% (0,100,51.02,6b,Yes,FTTP). So that mean that everyone served by the cab will only have the option to order FTTP?

The figures mean, in order:
- None of the lines in that postcode are "exchange-only"
- 100% of the lines in that postcode are served by that cabinet
- The average speed improvement factor is 51x
- The cabinet upgrade is planned in phase 6b
- The cabinet is included in the upgrade plans
- The upgrade type for all the lines summarised above (ie 100% of the postcode, in this case) is FTTP.

It is still early in the day for proper FTTP installs - BT are still trialling their installation procedures. However, the impression I get is that you will just order a fibre-based product (eg BT's Infinity, or another ISP's fibre service) without qualification of the FTTP or FTTC style. The Openreach engineers will then install the type appropriate for your location.
Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Tue 23-Aug-11 07:25:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by chrisadsl:

The figures mean, in order:
- None of the lines in that postcode are "exchange-only"
- 100% of the lines in that postcode are served by that cabinet
- The average speed improvement factor is 51x
- The cabinet upgrade is planned in phase 6b
- The cabinet is included in the upgrade plans
- The upgrade type for all the lines summarised above (ie 100% of the postcode, in this case) is FTTP.

It is still early in the day for proper FTTP installs - BT are still trialling their installation procedures. However, the impression I get is that you will just order a fibre-based product (eg BT's Infinity, or another ISP's fibre service) without qualification of the FTTP or FTTC style. The Openreach engineers will then install the type appropriate for your location.

I understood the basic meaning of the figures. Thanks for clarifying the detail of that particular one. I was uncertain, as I'd seen some exchange lists where mine was down as FTTC, but the recent BT 'Coming soon' seems to show FTTC/P consistently.
ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Tue 23-Aug-11 22:04:00
Print Post

Hi,

You won't get a choice of FTTC or FTTP, it's one, the other or neither, never both. No cabs are being enabled with both FTTC and FTTP.

There are now 6 exchanges that have FTTP:

Bradwell Abbey
Highams Park
York
St Austell
Chester South
Didcot

All of the cabs in the plan at Bradwell Abbey that are getting FTTP are now live but all the other 5 have more cabs coming. We have seen though that some cabs that were down as FTTP have either been removed from the plan altogether (at Bradwell Abbey) or change to FTTC (at York).

There are another batch of exchanges currently in build but no dates have been set for when they will be done or when the next batches of cabs will be released but we are starting to see weekly cabs now with cabs at St Austell and Chester South being enabled over the last few weeks.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Lucifa42
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 22:36:22
Print Post

What spreadsheet is the OP talking about?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 23-Aug-11 23:13:23
Print Post

[re: Lucifa42] [link to this post]

Back in April a "confidential" Openreach spreadsheet link was posted somewhere. It shows the exchange and cabinets for a huge number of post codes - perhaps all but I doubt that.

Several people managed to download it before access was blocked, so people with a copy are able to help people with information about their FTTC/FTTP rollout status as of April.

It didn't give dates, just "phases", and the phase dates seen highly variable in different parts of the country. But at least it shows what is expected to happen in terms of getting it.

Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Wed 24-Aug-11 07:51:46
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DaveTomlinson:
Hi,

You won't get a choice of FTTC or FTTP, it's one, the other or neither, never both. No cabs are being enabled with both FTTC and FTTP.

There are now 6 exchanges that have FTTP:

Bradwell Abbey
Highams Park
York
St Austell
Chester South
Didcot

All of the cabs in the plan at Bradwell Abbey that are getting FTTP are now live but all the other 5 have more cabs coming. We have seen though that some cabs that were down as FTTP have either been removed from the plan altogether (at Bradwell Abbey) or change to FTTC (at York).

There are another batch of exchanges currently in build but no dates have been set for when they will be done or when the next batches of cabs will be released but we are starting to see weekly cabs now with cabs at St Austell and Chester South being enabled over the last few weeks.

My exchange is Cheltenham, and tbh I was astonished to find it was down for fibre at all, given that we've suffered appalling ADSL service from a single central exchange. But we do have Virgin here, so maybe that's spurred BT on. I'm not too bothered about FTTP, more interested from an engineering perspective, FTTC would be a massive improvement on what I have!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to