General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:23:13
Print Post

FTTC - Everyone on my street can get it except me...

[link to this post]

I'm on the Oxford exchange, which had FTTC delayed a few times, but is now showing on the OpenReach List as accepting orders.

When I use the BT adsl checker, with either my phone number or address, it makes no mention of WBC FTTC Broadband at all. (The postcode checker does say I should get 39.1 downstream). When I use the address checker with other addresses on my (100m long) road, it says they can all get FTTC at speeds in the 38-39 downstream range. I've tried the phone number checked with a few numbers I know for other people on my road, and for all of them it gives the same answer as the address checker, i.e. FTTC is available. With address checks, I've tried both sides of the street, and places at various points along it, they all (apart for me) are listed as FTTC available.

It would appear that BT have a broken database, and have neglected to list me when they did the rest of the street. Is that likely, or are there other reasons why someone might miss out when the rest of the street is FTTC enabled?
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 11:38:18
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Everyone on my street can get it except me...

[re: gagravarr] [link to this post]

Do you currently pay line rental to BT, or has you line been taken over by another supplier?

A few people have been caught out when their line was transferred to Sky or TalkTalk, where the number no longer returns data for the number.

-==-
DougM
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 12:02:00
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DougM:
Do you currently pay line rental to BT, or has you line been taken over by another supplier?

It's a BT Wholesale supplied line. The ADSL checker will happily tell me about ADSL and ADSL 2 options for the line, so it's not that there's no data for me just that it doesn't include any FTTC parts frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 13:05:41
Print Post

One street can be supplied by two cabinets - one enabled, the other not, creating the scenario you describe.

Some site posters have a copy of BT's rollout database, so if you posted up your postcode, or at least the first part of it, I/they could have a look for you at that area and see if the theory above might hold true.

Perhaps the best bet is to ring the provider you'd be going with and ask them to check availability.
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 13:35:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Some site posters have a copy of BT's rollout database, so if you posted up your postcode, or at least the first part of it, I/they could have a look for you at that area and see if the theory above might hold true.

It's "OX1 1xx" (centre-west of Oxford)

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Perhaps the best bet is to ring the provider you'd be going with and ask them to check availability.

They seemed to think that the BT database was the word of god, and were generally not very helpful. This is possibly a sign that I'd need to switch to a different provider as part of an ADSL2 -> FTTC move!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 13:58:50
Print Post

That postcode area is served by 158 cabinets, so the full list is too long to paste in.

About half (81) are scheduled to receive a service and there are no plans for the others.

The following postcode areas are served by more than one cabinet and there is no planned fibre service

OX1 1SW OX1 1AY OX1 1HH OX1 1TB OX1 1JD OX1 1BS
OX1 1RW OX1 1ER OX1 1DP OX1 1NU OX1 1ND OX1 1DW
OX1 1NF OX1 1ZZ OX1 1BP OX1 1DW OX1 1NF OX1 1HP
OX1 1HP OX1 1HP OX1 1JD OX1 1PD OX1 1ER OX1 1DP
OX1 1PD OX1 1BP OX1 1PP OX1 1JA OX1 1BT OX1 1NU
OX1 1BS OX1 1HH

If the original document is still online somewhere (I have it locally) maybe someone can paste a link.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Aug-11 14:31:43
Print Post

Check your PMs - the flashing icon on the menu bar.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 18:16:03
Print Post

They seemed to think that the BT database was the word of god, and were generally not very helpful. This is possibly a sign that I'd need to switch to a different provider as part of an ADSL2 -> FTTC move!

Remember that only around 60 ISPs are involved in FTTC currently, and many only on a trial basis. Suggest you check whether your existing ISP offers FTTC before asking them questions about availability!

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User gagravarr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:31:03
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
Remember that only around 60 ISPs are involved in FTTC currently, and many only on a trial basis. Suggest you check whether your existing ISP offers FTTC before asking them questions about availability!

My current ISP does offer FTTC. Well, they say they do, as does their website, I can't actually check this claim as they won't let me order when the BT database says no (hence the query!)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Aug-11 22:06:38
Print Post

Post code?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to