General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RossNicol
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:21:32
Print Post

Thinking of Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi,

As FTTC is expected to be available for my line on 30th September, and I currently only get around 4 - 5 M from my existing DSL line, I'm currently looking at switching to a fibre product.

With a new arrival due in the house cost is important, both from a one-off installation point of view and also ongoing. Ideally I'd also like to have one or more static IPs like I currently have on DSL, but I can live with dynamic rather than push the cost up too much.

My current thinking is BT Infinity at £18 per month with the weekend calls option as it seems to be both the cheapest both in terms of installation and monthly cost, and also seems to be a good product on the technical side (ignoring customer service), but before I commit I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

Also, I'm currently on the free evening and weekend calls option with BT with the contract running until May next year. Is this likely to cause any problems if I switch to infinity? BT aren't likely to hit me with a charge for finishing the contract early or anything like that? I'm hoping they won't and will simply change the internet side of things over and leave me on my existing package calls wise, but you can never be sure with BT smile

Finally, if I do go with Infinity, am I better waiting until it's available and then migrating over, or migrate to BT Broadband first and then let them do the upgrade as soon as it's available?

Hope this all makes sense and is in the right place?

Thanks

Ross
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:38:00
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Infinity

[re: RossNicol] [link to this post]

In general BT will not charge an early termination fee provided you are staying with them and moving up or across the product chain and agree a new 12/18/24 month contract (dependent on service).

I have moved DSL service 6 to 8 times, telephone several more times and in two cases after just two months and have never paid an early termination fees even when moving a phone from residential to business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:45:34
Print Post

Don't forget that £18 doesn't include the line rental.

But Infinity is definitely the cheapest overall cost on the market, and so far I've not really seen any criticism of it on the performance side.

That September date could easily slip. They normally do, so don't get too expectant. One in the family at one time is enough.

What does this checker say about speeds?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RossNicol
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-11 01:22:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In general BT will not charge an early termination fee provided you are staying with them and moving up or across the product chain and agree a new 12/18/24 month contract (dependent on service).

Thanks for this - I kind of guessed they wouldn't but it's nice to see that my guess appears to be right smile

Ross
Standard User RossNicol
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-11 01:30:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Don't forget that £18 doesn't include the line rental.

But Infinity is definitely the cheapest overall cost on the market, and so far I've not really seen any criticism of it on the performance side.

That September date could easily slip. They normally do, so don't get too expectant. One in the family at one time is enough.

What does this checker say about speeds?

Cheers - I'll bear the possibility of slippage in mind - as you say - one expectant parent in the house is enough smile Is there somewhere which details any changes to the expected date or is it just a matter of keeping checking the checker?

Re the rental - yep I realise the 18 is just the broadband cost, but as I currently pay rental plus 19ish for DSL then it's still far better value for money than I've got just now - especially with the added option of using the wifi hotspots when I'm out and about smile

The checker says that I should get around 30.6M down and 7.5M up which, compared to the 4 - 5 that I get just now is just a tad on the faster side smile

Thanks

Ross
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 31-Aug-11 23:11:10
Print Post

Just keep checking the BT Wholesale checker. The others all seem to feed off it. But don't be surprised if it does wierd things.

Lower estimates than those have so far always given the full 40/10 sync. A few people have found a slight drop over several months though to nearer the estimate, presumed to be the effect of cross-talk as more on the cabinet join up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 31-Aug-11 23:11:31)

Standard User RossNicol
(newbie) Tue 06-Sep-11 19:29:20
Print Post

Just keep checking the BT Wholesale checker. The others all seem to feed off it. But don't be surprised if it does wierd things.

Lower estimates than those have so far always given the full 40/10 sync. A few people have found a slight drop over several months though to nearer the estimate, prIesumed to be the effect of cross-talk as more on the cabinet join up.

Cheers smile

Still saying the 30th so could be good, but I suppose there's still time for it to slip yet.......

Ross
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Sep-11 20:29:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RossNicol:
Still saying the 30th so could be good, but I suppose there's still time for it to slip yet.......

Same here... but there's no sign of any FTTC cabinet alongside my PCP, so I'm suspecting this will slip yet again :-/

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Sep-11 22:53:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'd strongly suggest considering Infinity Option 2 (unlimited) - once you get a faster connection it's highly likely you'll use it more than expected, and this way you won't need to pay excess use charges
Standard User RossNicol
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 23:55:22
Print Post

That September date could easily slip. They normally do, so don't get too expectant.

And this one has - to 01 December 2011 frown

Looks like the exchange has been enabled though as samknows.com is showing 'FTTC available in some areas'.

Guess I'll just need to wait until December....

Ross
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to