General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuartUK
(learned) Fri 02-Sep-11 15:46:05
Print Post

PlusNet Fibre - Query

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,
Just moved into a new house, looking to say spend a max £22 on Real broadband....
I've had my line done with Primus (cheapo line rental and free calls)....

Looking at Fibre, i can see BT do it, but cannot find any links which shows you how they ruin the connection... Anyone got a link to the Traffic Destroying page ?

Looking at Plusnet, they charge £16.49 for fibre, and give say 40gb limit, with free usage between midnight and 7am.....
However, on there Traffic shaping/destroying page, it shows what they 'Shape'.....
So the fibre would give me 33mb, for web browsing only, and in short, everything else is reduced to 256kb upto 1mb (I need for proper gaming and Iplayer stuff)....
I then noticed you can pay £5 extra to have the 'Plus' option which states you get priority traffic ???

Without any figures mentioned, just some stars on there page, anyone got first hand experience of there package with the 'plus' option ? I want to buy my broadband, but get the speed i pay for, not pay for a line which handles 30mb + but is shaped from 7am to midnight to run at 1mb.....
I notice TalkTalk do fibre, but hear lots of horror stores about them.....
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 16:26:29
Print Post

Re: PlusNet Fibre - Query

[re: StuartUK] [link to this post]

Hi StuartUK,

The following page provides the throughput detail of the PlusNet traffic shaping based on type and time of day:

http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php

The Pro add-on looks like a no-brainer for anyone wanting to use the connection for anything more than HTTP.

-==-
DougM
Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-11 17:00:56
Print Post

I have not, in practice, had any trouble streaming HD video on Plusnet Value Fibre (without the Pro add-on).

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-11 18:08:25
Print Post

I have the "Extra Fibre" package (is that £11.50 "extra" + £10 "fibre"?), giving the 120GB allowance; the shaping is less extreme than the "Value Fibre" package. No "pro" addon.

I haven't encountered *any* issues as a result of the shaping. Browsing goes on as normal, and all streaming continues just fine - including iPlayer HD.

I don't game, or P2P, so don't notice what's happening in those 2 areas.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Sep-11 23:15:36
Print Post

As a couple of posters have said, they have no trouble with iPlayer.

IIRC Plusnet said a long time ago that iPlayer isn't restricted. I could be wrong though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User StuartUK
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-11 15:15:19
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Nice one for the link, very handy page!

Way i see it is:
Pay £50 install fee
then £5 for router, which is infact a free router, paying for P&P (do i need this ? )
Then £21.49 per month, but that gets me the Plusnet Value Fibre (40gb limit) PRO....
So as long as i stick with downloading between midnight and 8am, then in theory, my gaming and the wife watching Iplayer should'nt reach the 40gb limit....

So in that sense, am paying £21.49 per month for Real broadband, no shaping.... guess thats not too bad ?

As for the router, is there a all-in-one unit i can buy ? ie, i dont want a fibre modem + wireless router, as thats 2 power sources to provide what a normal DSL router provide....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 15:21:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuartUK:
As for the router, is there a all-in-one unit i can buy ? ie, i dont want a fibre modem + wireless router, as thats 2 power sources to provide what a normal DSL router provide....
Currently FTTC is engineer install and you are expected to use the supplied modem.

There are two or three VDSL2 routers in use by posters but all seem to have one drawback or another. Google "Fritz" for the favourite at the moment.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User StuartUK
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-11 15:30:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Crikey, at £250 a unit, think i'll stick with the 2 power source setup!!!
Guess i can use my own cable router as opposed to using one provided by plusnet ? cant see them issuing an 'N' wireless box, or half decent at least ?

Think i should go fibre as opposed to sticking with normal DSL2+ (6mb estimate, compared to the fibre estimate being 33mb).....
Is it a 2 week process to setup ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 15:50:42
Print Post

If you have a cable router now that should be fine.

Not sure whether there is a "training period" or not. It is only recently they have been mentioned.

Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 16:00:45
Print Post

That combination is exactly what I am planning to order, once my cabinet finally goes live (it has been installed for ~3 months now!). I can always upgrade to Extra Fibre if my usage creeps up.

There are two things I really want Plusnet to offer; 10Mbps upstream (on its way as an add-on, estimated £3-4 per month) and IPv6 (currently on trial, but all spaces taken).

I already have the Fritz!Box 7390, currently running in ADSL2 mode. I paid 207 from momilc.com with free delivery (from France). It is far and away the best router I've owned, I can see why they have such a huge market share in Germany.

-==-
DougM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to