General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nalla
(regular) Sat 03-Sep-11 15:10:16
Print Post

bt option 3 now only up to 20mb

[link to this post]

hi all just wandering if this can be confirmed that bt have changed their option 3 with fibre package to only 20mb dl speed,

the reason i ask is i managed to get onto option 3 several months ago due to a my estimate only being 13.5 mb, and actually getting 33 now, but a friend asked me the other day what package im on because he wants to go with bt now, but they only do an up to 20mb package with fibre now, which i have checked using my phone number and there are no products available with upto 40 mb anymore. why would they do this as the package is the same price as the infinity package, so really people are getting ripped off.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-11 15:26:51
Print Post

Re: bt option 3 now only up to 20mb

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nalla:
and there are no products available with upto 40 mb anymore.

Still listed on the BT.com website.
ADSL2+ BT Broadband is listed as being "up to 20Mbps" but "Infinity" is definately listed as being a 40Mbps product.
It's also a bit odd that BT should be limiting download speeds to 20Mbps at about the same time (give or take a few months) when they're about to switch profiles allowing up to 80Mbps download speeds (hardly any point if they're capping the speed to half the current maximum).

I think you may be mistaken.

EDIT: Just checked my Inifinity order, which went through as "Option 2" (I selected the top package).
Maybe the "up to 20Mbps" is only available on Option 3 as "option 3" is a legacy ADSL package?

Just checked a couple of numbers here and they come back as having 30Mbps and 33Mbps available.
I really do think you're mistaken about this.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Sat 03-Sep-11 15:30:16)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Sep-11 17:45:15
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Only a couple of more sleeps 'till you find out what your line will do Ade ! smile

Knowing the hassles you've had, I shall keep my fingers crossed that they don't nouse it up again ....... To mis-quote Rocky Horror.....

" I see you shiver with in ..................

............... trepidation. "

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:25:28
Print Post

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

Looks like they are just aligning Option 3 with fibre with the existing option3 (ADSL) for the same price. Whether it is actually limited to 20Mbits max or just done for product marketing/ advertising I couldnt say.
What they should be doing is providing a mechanism for those taking Option3 with fibre to upgrade to Infinity where their line can obviously support it. Anyone tried it and succeeded?

Edited by Ribble (Sat 03-Sep-11 18:31:34)

Standard User epyon
(member) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:29:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Well the option 3 with fibre is for under 15mbps so i could see them capping it at 20 it would make sense maybe.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tonym
(member) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:45:06
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Well the option 3 with fibre is for under 15mbps so i could see them capping it at 20 it would make sense maybe.

ADSL2+ is broadband and the max download sp on BT Total Broadband option 3 is 20Mb

Total Broadband OPTION 3 WITH FIBRE is for those people who are on a Fibre enabled cabinet, but due to distance from the cab etc the speed is <15Mb.
Most of the people on this will be abvle to get a much faster speed than quoted as the BT Checker is very conservative.
The down speed is NOT capped.

The down side is the upload speed IS capped at 2Mb.
Some people have reported being able to get this lifted, but if this is the case, these people are few and far between.

tonym
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:47:10
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well no 'phone calls yet to indicate someone's messed up.
Order tracking says the HH has been despatched from some place in Yorkshire and is currently in the South West somewhere (so I assume it's in Swindon).
All looking good so far.
I'll either be happy or ranting like a lunatic on Wednesday afternoon wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Sep-11 19:39:45
Print Post

I'll either be happy or ranting like a lunatic on Wednesday afternoon

I got quite close to your neck of the woods this week. RAF Benson, still our patch though, so not close enough.

Chocks away Ginger !!

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-11 19:43:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I got quite close to your neck of the woods this week. RAF Benson, still our patch though, so not close enough.

Almost at the extreme other end of the county from me, although you couldn't have been too far away from old Billfud and his flying cars wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Sep-11 21:19:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
I'll either be happy or ranting like a lunatic on Wednesday afternoon wink
No change there then!
tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to