General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGimper
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 20:31:32
Print Post

RJ11 Cable

[link to this post]

I have an ADSLNation 1m Pro RJ11 cable I used on my prior ADSL setup.

Is there any value in using this on my infinity setup between the modem and the socket, or is it a waste of time?

G

BT Infinity for Business
5x Static IP and unlimited traffic
Down = 33.59 Mb/s
Up = 8.32 Mb/s
Ping = 12 ms

BOOM!!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 21:30:50
Print Post

Re: RJ11 Cable

[re: MrGimper] [link to this post]

What makes this cable 'Pro' ?
Is there any value in using this on my infinity setup between the modem and the socket, or is it a waste of time?

The later.

Standard User MrGimper
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:26:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Have a look...

ADSLNation Pro RJ11

BT Infinity for Business
5x Static IP and unlimited traffic
Down = 33.59 Mb/s
Up = 8.32 Mb/s
Ping = 12 ms

BOOM!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:39:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
What makes this cable 'Pro' ?

The later.

Advertising speak!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 23:06:27
Print Post

I bet it made no difference to your ADSLx connection, and wouldn't do so on VDSL2 either.

I got one with an ADSL Nation XTE-2005. Sync's through the faceplate were consistently a couple of hundred kbps lower than with most of half-a-dozen danglies, and the cable was exactly the same performance as all of the ones I have from various routers.

Noise margin behaviour monitored with RouterStats or DMT was unchanged with either or both of the ADSL Nation bits. Which are in their delivery packaging in a drawer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Sep-11 23:27:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I bet it made no difference to your ADSLx connection, and wouldn't do so on VDSL2 either.

I got one with an ADSL Nation XTE-2005. Sync's through the faceplate were consistently a couple of hundred kbps lower than with most of half-a-dozen danglies, and the cable was exactly the same performance as all of the ones I have from various routers.

Noise margin behaviour monitored with RouterStats or DMT was unchanged with either or both of the ADSL Nation bits. Which are in their delivery packaging in a drawer.

My experience is the same with ADSL Nation products. I also got an ADSL Nation face plate which connected slower than both the Openreach installed ADSL plate/filter and the freebie filter TalkTalk Business supplied.
Standard User DLS
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-11 00:00:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGimper:
Have a look...

Even assuming this is of the highest possible quality, the ~several hundred metres of cable between it and your PCP cabinet are likely to matter somewhat more. Now, if you could run one of these all the way to the cabinet...
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 11:29:36
Print Post

try it and see. You already own it, after all.

I have found on about 2 occasions that a decent RJ11 lead made a difference, probably due to adjacent power supplies for other kit. On 98 other occasions there was no detectable difference.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 12:11:15
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DLS:
Even assuming this is of the highest possible quality, the ~several hundred metres of cable between it and your PCP cabinet are likely to matter somewhat more. Now, if you could run one of these all the way to the cabinet...

LOL!

My views are my experiences.
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-11 12:21:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The short length of cable from the modem to filter is insignificant compared to the length of cable to your premises. The only thing is that DSL is a balanced signal and to send it through a non-twisted cable for the last couple of meters is not a great idea where there is usually a lot of noisy electrical equipment near by.

Most people will see little or no improvement in sync speed as it is not as significant as things like positioning and quality of filters. If you already have a Pro RJ11 cable then it makes sense to use it as the twisted pair cable is better at rejecting interference. Better than downgrading so to speak to a non-twisted cable.

The main reason we produced the Pro+ cables was for long runs like 10m where it often does make a difference as cable is running past various electrical devices, but people want short lengths so may as well have a twisted pair cable rather than a poor flat cable.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to