General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MGJ
(learned) Tue 13-Sep-11 11:43:57
Print Post

Migrating to Infinity

[link to this post]

OK, BT have announced that my exchange will be migrated to Infinity soon-ish.

I have a 10 year old engineer install of ADSL that currently gives around 3.5MB down and 400k up, so not brilliant but not awful.

BT changed the master socket last time and changed the faceplate, so the filters are built in to the master socket, and then an extension runs to my office (nearly 30 m around door frames etc, although about 3 m distance).

My internal wiring to the master socket is some very old looking bell wire, and I suspect that may be a limiting factor.

So, questions;

When BT do an Infinity install, what will they take out?

Do I have to use their home hub? I have a Netgear VPN firewall wifi router switch combination at the moment that I quite like, with a separate broadband phone (that rarely gets used)

How are the installations going? Do BT turn up on time/ does it work OK?

Lastly, I'm probably moving house in the next couple of years; have BT sorted the 'moving house' thing yet? I was in the original BT pilot in 2000 and they did not have a mechanism to allow you to move house and keep email addresses etc.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Tue 13-Sep-11 12:29:44
Print Post

Re: Migrating to Infinity

[re: MGJ] [link to this post]

I can only comment on questions that I have direct experience of.

OR left my existing extension socket and wiring in place, but I don't know if anything is still connected or not as it's no longer needed for my Broadband connection and for phones as they're all DECT.

They will run a 'Data Cable' from the Master Socket to where you want the Modem positioned. The cable is up to 30-Metres. Don't know if this presents a physical problem if longer than this is needed.

I suggest you use their Hub and consider an alternative Router later. There are lots of postings on these issues if you research this Forum.

OR turned up as promised and install was about an hour and quite painless.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 12:45:56
Print Post

You MUST use the BT modem but on your side you can put whatever router you want. Start with te HH3 to make sure everything works and then install your own.

Yes, you can move home and keep the same user name and email addresses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Sep-11 13:43:55
Print Post

why did you let a 10 year old engineer do anything?
  Print Thread

Jump to