General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Sep-11 19:17:33
Print Post

Annoyed at Openreach

[link to this post]

I am very annoyed with Openreach.

My exchange & cab has now been pushed back yet again. It was originally scheduled to be ready for service in March 2011 but was then pushed to 30th June, 30th July, 1st Sept, 30th Sept and now its 1st Dec (as of yesterday). According to SamKnows, the exchange is enabled now but I cannot find a single cab which is actually working yet. My cab was installed around the 1st sept but I expect they will fail to do anything to it for another few months. The planning was approved back in Feb 2011, when it was applied for, so it isnt the council holding things up.

I have to admit, my hopes for having FTTC by december are very very very low. Whoever manages Openreach in this area should be reviewed and/or removed from their position for gross mis-management. If it is the contractors to blame, get better ones or more of them. Someone in this process chain cannot deliver and there is always someone else who can.

However, today I see this in the tech news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/13/bt_114_excha...

I find this extremely annoying that Openreach is stretching their resources even thinner when they have failed to deliver time and time again on their existing commitments. Instead of adding another 114 exchanges with a date they are clearly NOT going to achieve, finish the ones already behind schedule, by 6-8 months.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Sep-11 21:50:31
Print Post

Re: Annoyed at Openreach

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I don't believe Openreach make solid commitments or guarantee when a service will be available in any area. The dates given are estimates and there is always the usual caveat that they are subject to change.

You appear to be in an area where dates have slipped which is annoying. Likewise some people have found cabinets in their area that are ready ahead of time.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 22:57:02
Print Post

There are some places where the local authority is refusing almost every planning application or forcing BT to reconsider. That could be one reason for slippage or contractors promising to to the work but then failing to have resources and there are probably many more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Wed 14-Sep-11 00:21:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
If it is the contractors to blame, get better ones or more of them. Someone in this process chain cannot deliver and there is always someone else who can.

Wrong if the problem is with getting an electricity supply, there's still only one public supply infrastructure operator in each local area. You can get a private supply for a high demand user but that doesn't include a local cabinet.

No-one was ever convinced by what I said, but by what they understood.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Sep-11 07:31:38
Print Post

have you checked your tel number on bt.com checker which will give you a view of whether indicative speeds for your cab is available -- could be a host of reasons why not live if in deployment plan --
Standard User johnhol
(learned) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:29:19
Print Post

Well mine has moved for the 5th time....

31st Marchn then
30th June then
30th September then
31st December then back to
30th September and surprise surprise.......
31st December

Will give it till Mid October and then go to Virgin. BT convinced me to leave Virgin and join them as Infinity would be with my by March 31st......livid is not the word.
Standard User ScaryMonkey
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 19:39:07
Print Post

Mine is looking like it will never get done having been brought forward then its been slipping all the time - despite most of the cabs in the town being turned on for ordering months ago. The timeline for me is

March 2011
December 2010
January 2011
March 2011
June 2011
September 2011
December 2011

In December they blamed the snow, in April/May it was scaffolding and in June they said everything was back on schedule - so its anyones guess what schedule it really is.

Vince
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Sep-11 19:55:14
Print Post

Joy, my cabnet has now been pushed back to 31st December today.

Well done Openreach, you have completely destroyed my faith in your ability to deliver.

I expect I'll be still waiting for your useless engineers and contractors to deliver in december 2015.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Wed 14-Sep-11 22:00:41
Print Post

lolz, maybe ask Virgin if the're intrested.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User FTTCguru
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 12:45:03
Print Post

Do you have your exchange and cab number?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to