General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kas
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 22:32:15
Print Post

Hyperoptic Announce Prices for their 100Mb/s-1Gbp/s Services *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Sep-11 22:44:10
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic Announce Prices for their 100Mb/s-1Gbp/s Serv

[re: kas] [link to this post]

"All tests have shown that customers' throughput on the Hyperoptic fibre network will be 95% of their connection speeds."

Hands up any reader with genuine GbE experience who's ever seen 95% of advertised speed in any real circumstances.

Hands up anyone who thinks this 95% claim is at all credible, even before you start thinking about other bottlenecks in the system.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 23:29:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

95% is a stupid claim to make. Will only lead to customer support issues with customers not willing to pay the bill coz they are getting only getting 94% from speedtest.net!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dustofnations
(member) Thu 15-Sep-11 00:05:35
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
"All tests have shown that customers' throughput on the Hyperoptic fibre network will be 95% of their connection speeds."

Hands up any reader with genuine GbE experience who's ever seen 95% of advertised speed in any real circumstances.

Hands up anyone who thinks this 95% claim is at all credible, even before you start thinking about other bottlenecks in the system.

If you re-read the key passage (see below), I think it is actually talking about the maximal throughput any given line can possibly attain in the best case (e.g. 95% of 1Gbps, 5% disappears with protocol overheads and other related stuff). I _don't_ think they are referring to the ability for all customers connected to sustain 95% throughput at all times (implying they have a gargantuan backhaul).

However, the sentence seems (deliberately?) badly worded, and gives the impression that they are.

All tests have shown that customers' throughput on the Hyperoptic fibre network will be 95% of their connection speeds.

I think they are saying something akin to 'You buy a 20Mbps ADSL connection, you might only get 20% of that due to line length, attenuation, etc, but with hyperoptic you get 95% of xxMbps)'. Which happens to be no miracle given that they're doing FTTH and they wouldn't have the same distance related headaches.

Anyway, seems fishy, I'd like to hear them clarify it.
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 15-Sep-11 00:21:35
Print Post

Theses are the same guys who founded BE?

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-11 02:47:43
Print Post

I honestly cant see the point of 1Gig connections right now. Maybe in 10 years sure. I'm fairly happy with my unlimited 6Mb. If I was getting 40Mb or more I could see me being happy for many years as I can't imagine what I would need that bandwidth for at this moment in time.

One thing that I do like the idea of with a pure Fibre network is ping times. They should drop to sub 10ms for anywhere in the UK. And it might even make playing people in the US and other far away countries the realm of possible for the first time especially if they are on a FTTH network too.

Edited by LeJimster (Thu 15-Sep-11 02:49:44)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 15-Sep-11 07:19:42
Print Post

Too much like spam ...the inclusion of the link did it for me.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:27:26
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

Already down to 9ms on FTTC. You're not going to see much more of a reduction on a residential network. Ping times to New York are 90ms. Perfectly playable.
Standard User dustofnations
(member) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:42:46
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LeJimster:
I honestly cant see the point of 1Gig connections right now. Maybe in 10 years sure. I'm fairly happy with my unlimited 6Mb. If I was getting 40Mb or more I could see me being happy for many years as I can't imagine what I would need that bandwidth for at this moment in time.

One thing that I do like the idea of with a pure Fibre network is ping times. They should drop to sub 10ms for anywhere in the UK. And it might even make playing people in the US and other far away countries the realm of possible for the first time especially if they are on a FTTH network too.

For really twitchy games where people insist on very low latencies (<=50ms) it'll never be possible, given that light travels slower through fibre than a vacuum, and the fastest dedicated link from UK (slough) to NY (which is dedicated for expensive realtime financial trading, and therefore massively lower latency than any standard link) is 65.7ms.

Fun PDF:
http://www.hiberniagfn.com/documents/ExpectedLatency...
Standard User driz
(newbie) Thu 15-Sep-11 10:49:40
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

I ping New York at about 75ms from home I think. Be connection with fastpath in London and a 5ms first hop. Fibre might help me drop 4ms off that, though from the traceroutes I've seen from people on the BT trial, they still have a 4ms first hop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to