General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swampster
(committed) Tue 20-Sep-11 02:29:38
Print Post

Digital Region 'May' Be Sold Off

[link to this post]

Published on Sat Sep 17 06:00:00 BST 2011

AN embattled £100m taxpayer-funded scheme to offer next- generation internet access to much of South Yorkshire could be sold off to the private sector when Yorkshire Forward is wound up next year.

Phil Coppard, chief executive of Barnsley Council and one of the driving forces behind the South Yorkshire Digital Region project, has told the Yorkshire Post it “may be no bad thing” if the 50 per cent shareholding in the scheme currently owned by the regional development agency is sold off to a private telecoms firm.

No surprises there then!

Not sure if it'll be a good or bad thing, I presume even with a fire sale of RDA assets.. the local councils will still own 50% of the network?

My guess is though if there's a party interested in buying the network as a whole even at knock down prices they'll be looking to offload their 'share' too..

Not sure where that'll leave Thales contractually...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Sep-11 12:18:38
Print Post

Re: Digital Region 'May' Be Sold Off

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

I'd be really happy if telefonica/o2/be group snapped the network up then I wouldn't need to switch ISP's. I'm happy with the peering on o2's network, just want a boost in my speeds.

(staff) Tue 20-Sep-11 14:37:07
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

Just enabled their 1000th cabinet, but no news on customer numbers. We have seen a few post, and others looking into it.

Alas it overlaps Openreach FTTC and VM Cable in some areas.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 15:35:54
Print Post

I hope this isn't another sign of what seems to have become an endemic problem with state investment in this country over the last decade, namely the absence of a robust business plan. (And it's not a fossil, but a living thing!). Roll-out, especially when funded by grants or a sugar-daddy investor, is the easy bit; it's standing on your own two feet afterwards that's hard.

The broadband business, more than most, is a changing world and you have to look further and faster than the competition to survive. BT, despite all its faults, looks ahead. The "what if?" (it doesn't happen as we think) is always the acid test Too many companies (small and large, in all fields) in my view think you can run a business by trashing others or that customers owe them a living. You can't and they don't.

(That PRINCE2 methodology, much beloved of the civil service I believe, followed to the letter with its grandiose titles and convoluted proformas like a medieval alchemy, remains in my view the worst means of getting anything done!).

No-one was ever convinced by what I said, but by what they understood.

Edited by smurf46 (Tue 20-Sep-11 15:56:32)

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Sep-11 16:32:05
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Theres several reasons why they're not doing well, advertising is a large part of it. They should have partnered with a top tier ISP from the very start.

(experienced) Wed 21-Sep-11 09:35:13
Print Post

I commented over on ispreview about the fact in nearly 2 years we had tried a number of times to make contact with the scheme to see if we could partner up or buy wholesale access into the network. We never had 1 call or email back in return.

It was interesting that within a few hours of my openly honest comments we had a call into our offices, asking for myself, from a very eager, slightly blunt (maybe a tad rude thinking about it) fella, calling from Digital Region, that claimed the sell off being a load of rubbish.

Not really sure what to believe at this point. There must be some foundation if various media outlets are picking up news, yet claims of denial from people within.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Home Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/home-broadband.php
Business Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/business-broadband.php
Aquiss Partner Scheme : http://www.aquiss.net/partners.php
Standard User swampster
(committed) Wed 21-Sep-11 12:29:14
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Not sure myself to be honest, I've been told the Councillor concerned was basically quoted out of context.. and reading the article for myself, the headline is a bit of a 'spin' on what was actually said as far as I can tell...

The journo (and paper) concerned has had a bit of history reporting nothing but negative stories regarding the project..

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User smurf46
(member) Wed 21-Sep-11 13:42:39
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

I think DR are right, for now! But the point is that the present Government intends to disband the Regional Development Agencies, and that's been the form of recent political history - initiatives come and go in a very short timescale. Govenment bodies aren't long-term investors (and really I don't think they can be - it ties up their resources). Something perhaps to remember for those that cry out for government-owned infrastructure!

No-one was ever convinced by what I said, but by what they understood.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-11 21:00:17
Print Post

Think this will go the way of the Rediffusion network.

Nobody will buy a network with no customers which is half owned by the council.

Virgin have a network. Openreach have a network. All the big players will be able to reach this area without the need for massive investment and the council as your business partner.

The drains will be coming up on this massive waste of taxpayers money sooner or later.

Edited by RandomJointer (Wed 21-Sep-11 21:01:32)

Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Wed 21-Sep-11 21:34:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Just enabled their 1000th cabinet, but no news on customer numbers. We have seen a few post, and others looking into it.

Alas it overlaps Openreach FTTC and VM Cable in some areas.

I live on an estate in the western edge of Sheffield and it seems that I shall have a long wait for FTTC because our pcp cabinet is located much nearer to the exchange than it is to us.
I was very surprised to see that the nearby suburb of Crookes now has a BT FTTC cabinet at one side of each pcp cabinet and a DR FTTC cabinet at the other. Do Digital Region really think that they can find customers in an area already served by BT when their ISP prices are more expensive than BT?
Daft I call it
towdgeezer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to