General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:01:15
Print Post

Cabinet Re-Shell

[link to this post]

How long does it take for a FTTC cab to appear once the existing PCP cab has been re-shelled? Id like to hear from anyone who's had thier PCP's re-shelled and then witnessed their FTTC cabs being installed thereafter, cheers!

TIA.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:05:39
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Re-Shell

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

Most cabinets are not reshelled prior to FTTC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:13:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If a re-shell is required for FTTC (and there maybe other reasons for a re-shell) its often done several months before the FTTC cabinets are installed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:19:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most cabinets are not reshelled prior to FTTC

Well the ones that are cast-iron shells are replaced with sheet-metal or fibreglass. Those already sheet-metal or fibreglass remain as they are. The newer PCP allow sufficient space for the link cable terminations.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:28:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bobby_Valentino:
Well the ones that are cast-iron shells are replaced with sheet-metal or fibreglass. Those already sheet-metal or fibreglass remain as they are. The newer PCP allow sufficient space for the link cable terminations.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, as mine was replaced but an identical old style one around 600m away was left as it was, so I'm not sure of the criteria for re-shelling PCPs. Both PCPs now have FTTC cabs next to them.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-11 20:40:03
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

>>so I'm not sure of the criteria for re-shelling PCPs.

My guess would be whether the pcp has capacity for another 100 dsides added and if it can't whether cabinet grooming is not possible.

Edited by RandomJointer (Wed 21-Sep-11 20:41:31)

Standard User Matt182
(member) Wed 21-Sep-11 21:24:41
Print Post

I think our PCP cab was done the same week the FTTC cab was installed, because one week there was just one old ratty looking PCP then the next week there was two shiny new cabs.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 21:36:05
Print Post

The cast iron ones near me have not been reshelled and FTTC has been rolled out, mine is scheduled for the morning of Friday 23rd. That said, the original cast iron cabinet 10 minutes walk away was reshelled a couple of months back.

Seeing "mine" open the other week, was shocked to see just a jumble of wires and gel crimps, rather than neat rows of termination strips that I have seen elsewhere.

Makes me wonder how the OR engineer will locate my pair in that mess? Also, since 9 years back they found a different pair to improve a noisy line, I hope their records are up to date, since there is a posibility that I may be on the other cabinet which serves my postcode...

Cheers!
I intend to post how it goes on Friday afternoon.

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 21-Sep-11 22:47:22
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

The PCP that serves me was re-shelled at the same time as the FTTC CAB was installed.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-11 23:08:43
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

My PCP has been re-shelled for over a month now and the dates on the bt adsl checker has been pushed back around 5 times now, and currently says its due on 31st December. Wonder why its taking them so long to get the fttc installed crazy

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to