General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dj_diddler
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:46:39
Print Post

Worcester WMWR - Shrubbery Avenue - FTTC Delays (again)

[link to this post]

I cannot believe it, I've been waiting for FTTC for a year now, BT originally suggested 31/12/10 for availability for my phone number. And just before the date they have changed it and added another 3 months on, so far 31/03/11, 30/06/11, 30/09/11 and now 31/12/11. They have had planning permission to install a new PCP and FTTC cabinet since December 2010. I live practically in the city centre in residential area with terraced streets which you would imagine house plenty of potential customers for Infinity.

The worse thing is that BT won't allow you to contact them about it !

Couple of friends live on the outskirts of the city and have had FTTC for several months.

Is anyone any the wiser to what BT are playing at?

Cheers

Standard User ScaryMonkey
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:09:00
Print Post

Re: Worcester WMWR - Shrubbery Avenue - FTTC Delays (again)

[re: dj_diddler] [link to this post]

They are doing the same round here in Evesham (WMEV). Parts of the town have had FTTC for months but in the area I am in the cabinets are yet to be installed. I have spoken to one of the BT project managers who spouts the same thing every time - the cabinet is on course for install in the expected time frame. Well if this was really true then they should be updating the dates to be more accurate - a delay of over a year means someone within BT is lying, whether that's the project manager or the teams that set the dates in the checker.

Vince
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 17:01:32
Print Post

Trust me, if a cab can be put in the ground it will be.

If you have planning permission and no cab then then it will have been attempted and more than likely there will be something in the base stopping the cab going in. In that case it will need to be replanned (effectively starting again with a new location).

Cabs can sometimes go round that loop several times before finding a successful position.

The only alternative is that planning have agreed the location, but the highways department has not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 10:59:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Surely it makes much more sense to survey the area and work out if you can out a cab in (ground, highways, power (whatever you need to do) ) before you start quoting dates.
alothugh i will say this - Warndon villages got fibre first because they had struggled to achieve much more than 512kbps for years, half of it is served by the end of the line from worcester, (no fibre) and half of it is served by the end of the line from fernell heath (active fibre)
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 30-Sep-11 16:01:48
Print Post

alothugh i will say this - Warndon villages got fibre first because they had struggled to achieve much more than 512kbps for years, half of it is served by the end of the line from worcester, (no fibre) and half of it is served by the end of the line from fernell heath (active fibre)
Warndon's a good demographic for it as well - large areas of above average income, commuter-y and tech-y types with (as you say) ADSL speeds that suck. You couldn't pick a better area for likely high FTTC uptake. That said don't know what the uptake has actually been like -don't think any of my neighbours have gone for it although a few friends have.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 16:55:59
Print Post

How odd - the cab over the canal bridge from you (cab 50) has been enabled since April, and is feeding me off Bishop's Avenue very well. There's lots of FTTC cabs around Worcester (as you no doubt know!) so BT must be having a very specific reason to not have done yours.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 18:31:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Surely it makes much more sense to survey the area and work out if you can out a cab in (ground, highways, power (whatever you need to do) ) before you start quoting dates.

It takes upwards of 3 to 6 months to do the planning for an exchange. If everything goes smoothly the cabinet could be ready for orders 5 to 10 days after it is stood up. It goes smoothly in about 70 to 80% of cases.

You're suggesting that no dates are quoted for up to 70 to 80% of the population getting FTTC until about 10 days before they could in theory place an order.
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Sep-11 20:29:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by dj_diddler:
I cannot believe it, I've been waiting for FTTC for a year now, BT originally suggested 31/12/10 for availability for my phone number. And just before the date they have changed it and added another 3 months on, so far 31/03/11, 30/06/11, 30/09/11 and now 31/12/11. They have had planning permission to install a new PCP and FTTC cabinet since December 2010. I live practically in the city centre in residential area with terraced streets which you would imagine house plenty of potential customers for Infinity.

The worse thing is that BT won't allow you to contact them about it !

Couple of friends live on the outskirts of the city and have had FTTC for several months.

Is anyone any the wiser to what BT are playing at?

Cheers

It's here OK in Droitwich Spa

Standard User dj_diddler
(newbie) Tue 11-Oct-11 12:04:39
Print Post

[re: ScaryMonkey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ScaryMonkey:
They are doing the same round here in Evesham (WMEV).
[snip]
Well if this was really true then they should be updating the dates to be more accurate - a delay of over a year means someone within BT is lying, whether that's the project manager or the teams that set the dates in the checker.

I wonder if the dates on the website are just scheduled to change automatically if no one intervenes to confirm that FTTC has been installed frown - someone must know why they aren't installing certain areas.

Trust me, if a cab can be put in the ground it will be.
[snip]

Trust you because? - your anonymous? - nobody has attempted to install a new cabinet or FTTC cabinet, the only roadworks that have taken place were to install new lamp posts about 5 months ago. And there are no markings on the pavement where the plans show the cab will be installed.

Plan from Council website - http://planningapps.worcester.gov.uk/images/dv_pl_fi...

Application - http://planningapps.worcester.gov.uk/portal/pls/port...

How odd - the cab over the canal bridge from you (cab 50) has been enabled since April, and is feeding me off Bishop's Avenue very well. There's lots of FTTC cabs around Worcester (as you no doubt know!) so BT must be having a very specific reason to not have done yours.

frown Personally I reckon they are doing x percentage of each area and skipping the remaining bits until they have time to catch up....

In reply to a post by michaelh:
It's here OK in Droitwich Spa

Excellent for you smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Oct-11 01:17:55
Print Post

Same problem in Bracknell. (well, a couple of miles outside in my case.)
The rollout just keeps on slipping further and further back.
I think the original date was Dec 2010.
I've just seen that it's now gone back from March to December 1012.

Stuck on 2MB for another year. I want to cry.
  Print Thread

Jump to