General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:38:53
Print Post

FTTP modems

[link to this post]

Presumably FTTP needs a different router (but with same HH). I was following the thread about hacking the OR modem, then realised it would be academic if I get FTTP. Do we have any comparable information on what's used and how hackable it might be?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:54:49
Print Post

Re: FTTP modems

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

http://www.farina1.com/fibre/hardware.jpg

Picture of an actual Openreach fibre termination unit. The power lead was missing - since it will need power in a real installation (this was demo in Milton Keynes).

Don't see the point in hacking it, as no connection information to worry about, fibre has no sync issues to worry about.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:56:38
Print Post

Very unlikely ... most standard routers will work fine with FTTP (provided they have a WAN port).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:08:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Very unlikely ... most standard routers will work fine with FTTP (provided they have a WAN port).

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but that picture MrSaffron kindly provided shows the fibre going into the box. Surely most routers won't have an optical input, so the media conversion would have to be done elsewhere?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:10:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisadsl:
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but that picture MrSaffron kindly provided shows the fibre going into the box. Surely most routers won't have an optical input, so the media conversion would have to be done elsewhere?

That is the optical network terminal (ONT) - that box takes the external fibre, and give you Ethernet output, and in the future Telephone (PSTN). You plug your router (with ethernet WAN port, often described as cable) into the ethernet socket.

Its basically the "modem" for Fibre to the premises. In the USA Verizon fit similar to the outside of buildings.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:20:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

Correct routers don't tend to have an optical input - the image you refer to is te optical termination unit which is te equivalent of an ADSL or VDSL modem which would then feed into a router. It is quite possible that the same router could be used on ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2, and FTTP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User chrisadsl
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-11 22:23:48
Print Post

So it's basically a glorified media converter? And is it possible to use alternative makes?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-11 23:38:09
Print Post

So it's basically a glorified media converter? And is it possible to use alternative makes?

I suspect not - but why would you want to?

If it handles PSTN connection (future?) then it would hold proprietory OpenReach info.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Sep-11 19:05:01
Print Post

It is quite possible that the same router could be used on ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2, and FTTP.

Yep, the HomeHub3 does all three, the gig lan port on the back is where the feed would go.

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Fri 30-Sep-11 19:11:59
Print Post

?

This is where the fibre terminates, you can't do anything with that unit it belongs to OR, you connect whatever router you want to that device via Cat5/Cat6 Ethernet, you don't do anything with the ONT, think of it as your master phone socket
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to