General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 29-Sep-11 22:41:58
Print Post

FTTC/P handover exchanges

[link to this post]

I've read that the exchange that the fibre is connected to isn't necessarily the same as for the copper phone line - does anyone know how widespread this is, or have a table showing which exchanges these are?

I was wondering whether this was just atypical for awkward exchanges or as part of a general plan by BT to simplify the network, which could have implications for LLU providers - only having to put equipment in a fraction of the exchanges could make things considerably cheaper.

--
Richard J
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 30-Sep-11 00:40:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC/P handover exchanges

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

some of the Openreach documentation shows two exchanges - the one whose area it is and the other which handles the fibre interconnect. The leaked "postcode PCP CSV" file includes this information IIRC.

In the long run fibre with 60km range is going to bypass many current exchanges. LLU will be history.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Sep-11 11:59:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I've read that the exchange that the fibre is connected to isn't necessarily the same as for the copper phone line - does anyone know how widespread this is, or have a table showing which exchanges these are?
Mine would be one such example. My voice/ADSL exchange is Brackley (SMBY) but for FTTC the exchange is Banbury (SMBB) which is eight, going on nine miles away. They've just started going round marking the locations of the new cabinets. Mine is actually the first cabinet you come to when driving the route and interestingly there's now a dashed line leading away from the cab toward the main road.

It looks to me like BT are going to connect my cab to the distant exchange first and then work their way back to the exchange before branching out again.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 13:39:13
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I remember reading some papers from BT a few years back about a 100 km fibre "PON" (it had an amplifier), split between 1024 users - the idea was to basically eliminate all the exchanges and connect directly to the core network of about 100 nodes. GPON can't do that, but 20 km is still a lot longer reach than copper so I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need only a fifth or so of the exchanges.

The reason I was wondering was that it would seem to make economic sense to have fewer exchanges and a simpler network, but would rather mess up the current LLU model. Either for better (lower costs overall, more economic to do LLU with fewer, bigger exchanges) or worse (Openreach gets a larger fraction of the revenue).

Sadly, the exchange list BT hands out no longer seems to give the serving exchange information.

--
Richard J
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 01-Oct-11 20:26:20
Print Post

Its very typical and is technically desirable for BT. Reduces the handover points, which for BT means they can enable more areas without needing to also install 21CN at the same time in every exchange .
Also makes it feasible to close exchanges where there is only copper terminated and feed everything over FTTC/P, thats probably some time off (excluding the Fibre Only Exchange areas)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Oct-11 17:16:38
Print Post

Less widespread in early phases, but now is quite common. Called a parent child releationship, it's done normally when the smaller exchange can't accommodate the head end, doesn't have the necessary power requirements or the exchange building is on BT's consolidation programe.

It's why you can sometimes have exchanges ready for service for FTTC, but not WBC. From a PR perspective, if you are in exchange x but the fibre head end is in exchange y, it will be exchange x listed in the press releases to reduce confusion.
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 14:06:30
Print Post

The OR PPT slides (BT FTTC GEA Openhouse Slides Consolidatedv2.pdf, page 7) mention 845-1000 CP handover nodes which would suggest a 6:1 exchange consolidation (circa 6000 BT exchanges currently from memory).

One thing I'm not sure on is if the fibre is routed *directly* from the consolidated exchange or whether there is any aggregation via the 'child' exchange? It would be interesting to know given the potential long-term implications.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Oct-11 14:27:01
Print Post

[re: MaryHinge] [link to this post]

If I understand "One thing I'm not sure on is if the fibre is routed *directly* from the consolidated exchange or whether there is any aggregation via the 'child' exchange?" correctly, I believe the FTTC cabinet is connected directly to the head-end exchange.

The PSTN line continues to be via the child exchange, in the same way as when the FTTC cabinet is connected to there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Oct-11 15:07:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If I understand "One thing I'm not sure on is if the fibre is routed *directly* from the consolidated exchange or whether there is any aggregation via the 'child' exchange?" correctly, I believe the FTTC cabinet is connected directly to the head-end exchange.

The PSTN line continues to be via the child exchange, in the same way as when the FTTC cabinet is connected to there.
Well i would say the child exchange if enabled, as in our area only one of 4 exchanges has fiber, and only some homes within it's defined area have the choice of fttc , but looking at the latest info from bt the exchange that I'm connected is going to be enabled next year, and it will be the child of
the already enabled exchange,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Oct-11 16:01:01
Print Post

There are handover exchanges not enabled for FTTC, maybe later.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to