General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JonathanCassar
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 12:53:12
Print Post

Anyone got Hyperoptic yet?

[link to this post]

Hi again,
All being well HyperOptic will be up and running where I live before christmas smile

I wondered if any sites are ahead of us and actually live yet?

I Know they are a new company so any feedback would be helpfull

Jonathan

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 11:56:16
Print Post

Re: Anyone got Hyperoptic yet?

[re: JonathanCassar] [link to this post]

Hi I'm bumping this up as apparently HyperOptic have their first site in Clapham online

Anyone who is connected with them please share your experiences!!

Its still looking like Christmas/New Year for me so I'm keen to know if they are any good!!

Thanks

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:06:24
Print Post

Further to my last post...

HyperOptic officially launched their first site today in Wandsworth

http://pressitt.com/smnr/Hyperoptic-Makes-1-Gig-Broa...

So it was Wandsworth not Clapham - apologies for my earlier inaccuracy!!

Can any one from Prices Court comment - I'm still keen to hear a real life experience

Jonathan Cassar

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 21:09:32
Print Post

From that web page

The 1 Gig service will see Hyperoptic confirmed as a real challenger to BT and Virgin as they push back their own plans to roll-out fibreoptic networks.

They think some 1Gb network into one block of flats in one place in London makes them a real challenger to BT and Virgin - what a joke.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 19-Oct-11 21:49:14
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Hyperoptic has become the first broadband provider to make 1 gigabit download speeds happen in the UK.

Is that even true? I thought Virgin had trialled 1Gb somewhere in east London ?

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 19-Oct-11 21:52:48
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

http://www.geeknewscentral.com/2011/04/20/virgin-tri...

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 20-Oct-11 01:43:36
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

]
Is that even true? I thought Virgin had trialled 1Gb somewhere in east London ?

IIRC Both Virgin and BT are trialling 1Gb or faster broadband already, Virgin in east London, BT is Suffolk.

Does it matter anyway? Unless the backhaul is up to scratch what difference does a really fast sync speed make?

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
(regular) Thu 20-Oct-11 02:21:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
From that web page

They think some 1Gb network into one block of flats in one place in London makes them a real challenger to BT and Virgin - what a joke.

Ian, I think hyperoptic are suggesting they are a challenger to BT/Virgin in terms of technology rather than market share...

Their business model in fact it is to target high density developments that have no fibre.
Therefore they will never be a challenger to BT in terms of competition.

Far from being a joke I think its a great thing there's a company that's prepared to fill the black spots for a reasonable cost where BT/Virgin wont go

Its a fact without companies like this I'd be fibre less for years (my exchange has already been upgraded to FTTC)

Jonathan Cassar

(regular) Thu 20-Oct-11 02:33:00
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by New_Londoner:
IIRC Both Virgin and BT are trialling 1Gb or faster broadband already, Virgin in east London, BT is Suffolk.

Does it matter anyway? Unless the backhaul is up to scratch what difference does a really fast sync speed make?

I think HyperOptic are stating they are the first to offer it as a normal service to joe public - rather than a trial

The virgin trial was only to four companies in London so not really comparable
How big was the BT one? - I Googled but couldn't see any info re live connections yet just that BT planned to trial it

I agree re the network needing to be up to scratch which is why I started this thread to gather experiences from the few live customers currently on their service - well that brings us nicely back on topic!!

Jonathan Cassar

Edited by JonathanCassar (Thu 20-Oct-11 02:50:42)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 08:21:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Squirrel:

Symmetric to me is the unique feature, along with the price. If they get enough places wired up they could be a "disruptive" force in pricing.

Perhaps Hyperoptic can do the three blocks of flats in Farnborough where I live next - please smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 20-Oct-11 08:22:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to