General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithbucknall
(newbie) Sat 01-Oct-11 16:20:00
Print Post

Which ISP FTTC - BT, PlusNet or Eclipse

[link to this post]

Dear All,

I am thinking of moving to FTTC from Be with either BT, PlusNet or Eclipse and wondered what your thoughts are?

Do I also need to cancel my ADSL before ordering?

I have a master socket and extension and would like these swapped around so the current extension becomes the master socket - can this be done?

Thanks

Keith
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Oct-11 19:34:52
Print Post

Re: Which ISP FTTC - BT, PlusNet or Eclipse

[re: keithbucknall] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keithbucknall:
I am thinking of moving to FTTC from Be with either BT, PlusNet or Eclipse and wondered what your thoughts are?
Depends on what you want out of it, apart from the obvious speed. If the same answer was correct for everyone there would be only one supplier by now.
Do I also need to cancel my ADSL before ordering?
No. Just get your MAC as per a normal migration and sign up with it to the package/ISP of your choice. In other words, the procedure is just the same as ADSLx.

Note that if you choose BT Infinity (if you can get it), your line rental has to be with BT as well.
I have a master socket and extension and would like these swapped around so the current extension becomes the master socket - can this be done?
In some cases yes, but if it is normal extension cabling maybe not. Tell us more about the setup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User keithbucknall
(newbie) Sat 01-Oct-11 19:43:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, I am looking for unlimited quota and ideally at least 1 static IP address.

My line rental is with TalkTalk.

At the moment my master socket is in the kitchen, the main BT extension runs from a junction box above our kitchen door (internal, 1 wire to the master socket and 1 wire outside). The extension runs outside all the way to the front of the house through the wall and into the lounge.

I am trying to get the lounge extension as the mast socket.

Does this help?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 23:35:07
Print Post

Thanks, I am looking for unlimited quota and ideally at least 1 static IP address.

ADSL24's Pro Office product should fit the bill. My package is unlimited/unshaped etc from 20:00hrs to 08:00 hrs during the week, weekend is 20:00hts Fri tp 08:00 hrs Monday. I have chosen a limit of 45 GB outside of those times...£41 pcm approx.

My line rental is with TalkTalk.

Oopsie! That is why I choose to stay with BT. Your line would have to move from TalkTalk AIUTS.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 08:46:19
Print Post

Will the the TalkTalk FTTC offering not be any good to you ?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Oct-11 08:56:13
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I have BT Infinity myself. Apart from a few teething problems, its been fine and given pretty consistant speeds.

What I can't get my head around is why people would choose any other FTTC ISP other than BT at this moment in time. As far as i know, they are all going to be the same as BT's offering. They all cost more than BT and have usage restrictions like £40+ and 45GB cap peak. Whats the point of that. You have a fast connection and are bound to go over that in most cases. BT £28 unlimited usage. Makes no sense to me why people choose these other ISPs. Ok, so their support may be UK based, but to pay sometimes double, is it worth that?????
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-11 09:59:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I have BT Infinity myself. Apart from a few teething problems, its been fine and given pretty consistant speeds.

What I can't get my head around is why people would choose any other FTTC ISP other than BT at this moment in time
Because the OP is a TT user, TT FTTC would seem like a better choice.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sun 02-Oct-11 10:05:25
Print Post

Because BT currently throttle p2p, as many punters are reporting. Their contract states that they reserve the right to manage their network as they see fit, so in the future you might find they decide to throttle (say) downloads from itunes. The punters would whine and scream, but BT would be well within their contractual rights & the customers would have to lump it for the rest of their contract terms.

For me, I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of that.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Oct-11 10:43:20
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Thanks all,

I think it has to be Eclipse or PlusNet, Eclipse are £60 a month unlimited though which is a complete joke.

Does PlusNet offer static IP addressing as I cannot see that from their website at £40 a month with the extra £5 a month to ensure traffic shaping is not on the line.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Oct-11 13:45:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Does PlusNet offer static IP addressing as I cannot see that from their website at £40 a month with the extra £5 a month to ensure traffic shaping is not on the line.

There's a one time charge for a static IP address - it's carefully concealed somewhere on their web site.
What's even better concealed, is the 2Mb/s upload with no 10Mb/s upload option (currently).

[whinge mode]
As it's advertised, PlusNet appear to offer a fully symmetrical service - 40Mb/s down & up! Then again, Virgin do the same...

Considering that PlusNet are upfront and honest with their traffic management policies, careful concealment of the upload speed is a tad deceptive.
[/whinge mode]

Having whinged, if Plusnet announce 10Mb/s upload within the next 28 days, I'll probably subscribe to their Fibre offering rather than BT's... (price is a consideration).

GOOD HONEST DISHONEST BROADBAND FROM YORKSHIRE.

JC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to