General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Oct-11 14:52:08
Print Post

BT Infinity if fed via underground lines

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

My exchange is currently being enabled for FTTC, but my addresses shows it as not being available. Lots of my friends addresses are showing as it being available soon. I live on a housing estate thatís about 10 years old and our BT lines are all underground.
Does this and the fact that my address shows it as not being available mean that we wonít get BT infinity? If not would we ever be able to get faster speeds?
Thanks for any help
Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-11 14:55:04
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity if fed via underground lines

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Underground, but probably still got a street cabinet.

Coverage of FTTC is not 100% on any exchange where it has been enabled, and they may come back and add more in the future. Race against covering areas of the UK, versus total coverage in one specific exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Oct-11 15:25:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. Appreciate your reply. Any ideas on how to locate your local cab? I have looked smile
In terms of area, the estate is predominantly made up of families with children of school age so would seem prime for taking the higher speeds offered by FFTC, especially as the current speeds leave a lot to be desired due to the distance from the exchange.
I'm sure BT would have done well from this estate.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Oct-11 18:06:35
Print Post

There are the odd few cabinets (in enabled areas) BT seem to forget about.
The fact your lines are underground is not important to the provision of FTTC (Infinity is just BT's own brand for a product offered by many other ISPs).
Something like 60% of our town has underground cables.

BT don't seem to be doing cabinets which feed mainly commercial/industrial zones (because Infinity is so cheap, compared with BTs fibre leased lines).

The cabinet (one number higher than ours) at the eastern end of this estate is one BT has forgotten about (not good news for the people living there as line lengths to the exchange means they'll be stuck on around 4Mbps until BT remember they put a new cabinet in 6 years ago and add it to the roll-out).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Oct-11 18:17:24
Print Post

Its the same round here, all the cabs in the industrial estate areas and town centre have not been done.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 8.9
Line Length 300meters
  Print Thread

Jump to