General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Edge
(committed) Fri 07-Oct-11 11:05:50
Print Post

Change in attainable rate

[link to this post]

Something happened last night, I dropped sync at around 4:00AM and reconnected shortly after with my router reporting higher than usual attainable rates. Are BT doing something, or is this normal?

My router only ever shows an attainable rate slightly lower than my IP profile but as you can see from the pic below, both the down and upstream attainable rate have gone up a fair bit.

I'm not very good at interpreting line stats, so I don't know if my line quality is ok or not - my cab is about 300m away as the crow flies, but I didn't get the actual line length when FTTC was installed.

>>Router status page<<

>>BT Speedtest Results<<

I guess this could be an indication of what speed I can get when BT upgrade FTTC to the 80/20Mbps service?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Oct-11 11:12:14
Print Post

Re: Change in attainable rate

[re: Edge] [link to this post]

12dB margin so plenty of spare, hence the ability to get close to 60Meg if it was allowed, maybe more when the VDSL line profiles change.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Oct-11 12:05:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The attainable rate you see now is no indication of the speed you will get under profile 17a.

The attainable line speed you see now is the speed you would get under 8C if the line was not capped at 40.

This is my take on it.

My attainable rate has also increased (it was 52 when I first had infinity installed). My modem was faulty so they replaced it and my line card / port was reset, but the BT open-reach eng was told while so was on the phone to BT wholesale that cabs are receiving a firmware update, this may be a reason for better stats.

What router/modem are you using to get them nice looking stats?

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 8.9
Line Length 300meters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 07-Oct-11 12:13:41
Print Post

Difficult to say why it has gone up but it may well be down to local conditions at the time of the resync ... There is additional atmospheric noise overnight which tends to push sync speeds down, but at 4AM there is very little locally generated noise - PCs, TVs, central heating, other users, washing machines, factories &c. Maybe it just resynced at a very low noise moment. Have you forced a resync since then? If so, what does it say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Edge
(committed) Fri 07-Oct-11 12:38:15
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Ok thanks, that makes sense - the router is a Billion BiPAC 8200n.
Standard User Edge
(committed) Fri 07-Oct-11 12:40:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah I suppose it could be any of those factors, the router regularly re-syncs so I'll wait until the next one rather than forcing it. The DLM has already hit me with interleaving smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 07-Oct-11 12:44:59
Print Post

Have just gone back to the max attainable I had on connection ... 46.667 & 17.667 but my sync which was 39.996 has dropped to 36 and I cannot get it back up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 21:27:47
Print Post

My router only ever shows an attainable rate slightly lower than my IP profile
Uh? smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 07-Oct-11 22:29:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Somebofy on the BT forums with a Vigor 2750n has reported that their router ressynched today and went onto profile 17a.

They went from a synch of 35 meg sec to 40 and their obtainable rate shot up to 56 meg/sec from 35.

So looks like BT are putting people onto 17a in readyness for next year for the uncapping of the product.

If they do a few thousand a week then they can get ready and if something goes wrong they haven't screwed up all their customers in one go.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 22:36:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I think all the Vigors report 17a. It appears to be a reporting error. There have been a few posts about it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to