General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:21:25
Print Post

FTTC - safe to wait?

[link to this post]

I should be getting FTTC in March but my current ISP (BeThere) seems to be dragging its heels so I'd probably have to change. I'm struggling to justify changing from my current 15Mb/s sync and the only thing I can really come up with (other than 'because I can') is the increased upload. But even then I'm not sure I really would use it.

So what I'm wondering is how much does 'first come, first serve' apply? I know there's a limited capacity at each cab when first installed but how quickly would a cab be upgraded? Is it safe to assume a cab would be upgraded when it got close to full or could it be like the infamous Polar exchange where you'd have to wait weeks or months before finally being enabled?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:27:52
Print Post

Re: FTTC - safe to wait?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

If a cab hits if full capacity i.e. aroudn 50% takeup then yes Poplar would be the case. Adding another cab to just handle one or two more lines would be very expensive to do.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User knighton
(learned) Tue 11-Oct-11 11:19:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How I envy your dilemma!!!

Sub 1Mbs speeds on a 3G connection via a roof antenna as BT 'no longer' able to provide BB on my 7km line

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Oct-11 11:24:25
Print Post

Unlikely to be economical to add further cabinets in the short term unless there is really high density population.

Best to get on and avoid disappointment

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 11-Oct-11 11:39:09
Print Post

Expensive for BT, and may not be financially viable; delays - where would it go in the programme if the initial requirement is for just a few lines; would BT get objections from the local authority if they want to install another ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 16:24:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If a cab hits if full capacity i.e. aroudn 50% takeup then yes Poplar would be the case. Adding another cab to just handle one or two more lines would be very expensive to do.
Is there no room left in the new cabinets for additional cards? That seems a bit short-sighted. I can understand not being ready for 100% demand at install but I was hoping BT could just add some more cards over time.

Oh well. I'll put it down as another reason to change then smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Oct-11 16:33:40
Print Post

Exact numbers are not to hand, but yes some cabinets serve more lines than can be hosted in a FTTC cabinet. To date this is not much of a problem, most capacity posts appear to revolve around computer saying no, due to enablement dates, speed issues.

ADSL the same can happen, i.e. while exchanges are upgraded generally, there can be delays here, if demand spikes, or an exchange is short on space.

For FTTC there may be areas where only smaller deployments are possible due to objects over extra cabinets.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 19:11:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Oh well. I'll put it down as another reason to change then smile

Same here - about 14meg throughput on a 16.5meg sync; I'll switch as soon as the FTTC cab is installed and made live.

I'm likely to go BT Infinity purely on price, as I don't use P2P. - Have you decided a possible FTTC ISP ?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 19:13:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'm likely to go BT Infinity purely on price, as I don't use P2P. - Have you decided a possible FTTC ISP ?
Not yet but probably Plusnet. I want to have static IP address.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 19:51:38
Print Post

Is there no room left in the new cabinets for additional cards? That seems a bit short-sighted.

The larger '200 pair' cabinets often only have a 100 pair tail fitted, so yes, they can be expanded. The '100 pair' ones, hmmm. To tell the truth the busiest area round this way, Basingstoke, which has service the longest, has AFAIK, not had capacity reached on any DSLAM cab yet.

Still better safe than sorry, order now to avoid disappointment ! smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to