General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CalamityJames
(newbie) Wed 12-Oct-11 13:12:27
Print Post

Vigor 2750 - Unreliable connection

[link to this post]

Hi all,

We've had BT Infinity for Business for a few months now, and although the line has stabilised a bit recently, it's still quite bad, nearly a drop out every day.

We did have the issues with the original Openreach modem, but I don't know if the Vigor's ones are the same.

The router is connected to the net fine most of the time, however the syslog is constantly listing these two warnings:

Oct 12 12:05:41 err daemon pppd[16899]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Oct 12 12:05:41 warn daemon pppd[16899]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Oct 12 12:04:56 err daemon pppd[16899]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Oct 12 12:04:56 warn daemon pppd[16899]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Oct 12 12:04:11 err daemon pppd[16899]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Oct 12 12:04:11 warn daemon pppd[16899]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Oct 12 12:03:26 err daemon pppd[16899]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Oct 12 12:03:26 warn daemon pppd[16899]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

(etc etc)

I wondered if this was anything to do with the problems I've been having.

For reference, here are all my router config settings and statistics:

http://imgur.com/a/qQqzZ

I've also noticed the down speed getting progressively slower since we installed the Vigor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated smile

Cheers,
James.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Oct-11 14:01:59
Print Post

Re: Vigor 2750 - Unreliable connection

[re: CalamityJames] [link to this post]

VDSL alas is still prone to resync's due to noise in the wide spectrum of frequencies it uses.

Do the errors in the log coincide with when the vigor has dropped the connection and resync'd.

One drop out a day, unlikely to get a lot of help with that, a number of them in an hour perhaps a visit to check wiring.

If the router is on the end of a data extension first thing is to rule that out. Second thing is trying to ensure the router is not located in a bad RF environment e.g. in a data comms cupboard with a myriad of RF noisy power suppliers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CalamityJames
(newbie) Wed 12-Oct-11 14:05:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

Dodgy RF interference is a good point, the Vigor currently sits on top of the server next to a switch and on the end of a 4 way gang plug.

Those errors are constant, they fill up the log, and therefore there's no way to correlate it with downtime!

(Apologies for the length, but this is what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/LKC3B.png ) yet the internet is fine at the moment!

Edited by CalamityJames (Wed 12-Oct-11 14:06:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Oct-11 15:12:12
Print Post

[re: CalamityJames] [link to this post]

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networ...

Not uncommon it seems, and not just a FTTC issue, but common amongst linux based router hardware.

if the link was up and running with those errors going on, tempted to say over zealous logging.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping can be useful to spot regular downtime on a device, you need to be on a static IP for it to work. Solid bars of red indicate we could not ping the router, and infer a link or ISP network problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to