General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 12-Oct-11 14:57:21
Print Post

FTTC question about new hardware

[link to this post]

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm planning on getting FTTC when it arrives at my local exchange next year and understand that I'll need a new faceplate and modem - why? Surely with FTTC the cabling into my house won't change?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 12-Oct-11 15:18:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC question about new hardware

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joconnell:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm planning on getting FTTC when it arrives at my local exchange next year and understand that I'll need a new faceplate and modem - why? Surely with FTTC the cabling into my house won't change?

The wiring to the house will not change, but how do you expect the analog VDSL2 signal to be converted to digital ? There has to be a compatible modem installed for that to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-11 17:24:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by joconnell:

The wiring to the house will not change, but how do you expect the analog VDSL2 signal to be converted to digital ? There has to be a compatible modem installed for that to happen.

i also always wounded why there has to be a diff faceplate i get the modem part but not the faceplate part, Dose a normal ADSL pre filtered faceplate not work with VDSL (been serious there as i dont really no the diff between VDSL and ADSL except the part were the fibres to the cab instead of exchange lol)

Ash

Virgin Media + Sky
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg

PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526307370.png[/IMG]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Oct-11 17:31:54
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

different frequencies (if i remember correctly)

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Oct-11 17:45:14
Print Post

Both the VDSL modem AND the VDSL Faceplate are provided by Openreach as part of the installation.

Unlike other ADSL filtered faceplates, it uses the existing lower removable half of a standard NTE5 to sandwich together the modified assembly.

This means that you can actually hardwire telephone extension wiring to the lower half of the plate whilst your VDSL modem is on-line and operating.

Although not advertised, there appears to be provision to extend the VDSL wiring (ie the unfiltered A & B wires) to an RJ11 VDSL extension socket; in the same way as you can with an ADSLnation ADSL filtered faceplate.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
FTTC
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:51
Print Post

If I could get hold of a spare VDSL faceplate and have a good look at the filter design then the differences may become apparent.

There could be differences such as different 3dB points, different roll off (dB/octave), different characteristic impedance at hugher frequencies (too low and it would attenuate teh higher VDSL frequencies).

An ADSL filter might work but give a lower sync on Down and Up ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 12-Oct-11 20:02:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

Ah, I thought that happened at the exchange.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Oct-11 21:15:04
Print Post

There is no difference, except in price, the 'VDSL' ones are cheaper. They also have a knock out in the bottom so can be slipped over existing connected extension wiring. Clearly a nod in the direction of self install. When testing anywhere else other than at an existing faceplate filter, I'll use the same micro-filter I use for testing ADSL.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Oct-11 22:13:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
i also always wounded why there has to be a diff faceplate i get the modem part but not the faceplate part, Dose a normal ADSL pre filtered faceplate not work with VDSL (been serious there as i dont really no the diff between VDSL and ADSL except the part were the fibres to the cab instead of exchange lol)

Ash
See Zarjaz's post.

Several posters have retained their filtered ADSLx faceplates when getting FTTC, with no quibble from the engineers. The filter just filters out everything except phone-frequencies from the line to the phone etc., and similarly only allows phone frequencies back onto the line.

No real difference.

What is different is that the xDSL cable from the master to the modem has to be short, or a high quality cable such as the OR-available Data Extension Cable or user-supplied CAT5, (subject to engineer acquiescence), has to be used to get from the master to the extension socket.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-11 23:04:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:

Ash
See Zarjaz's post.

Several posters have retained their filtered ADSLx faceplates when getting FTTC, with no quibble from the engineers. The filter just filters out everything except phone-frequencies from the line to the phone etc., and similarly only allows phone frequencies back onto the line.

No real difference.

What is different is that the xDSL cable from the master to the modem has to be short, or a high quality cable such as the OR-available Data Extension Cable or user-supplied CAT5, (subject to engineer acquiescence), has to be used to get from the master to the extension socket.

right thanks all seams a bit more clear now my friend wants FTTC but his dad wont allow an engineer out to change the faceplate and fit it (hes a right grumpy old numpty lol his house his rules n so on) so hes stuck on slow ADSL until they offer a self install option like normal ADSL lol

Ash

Virgin Media + Sky
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg

PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526307370.png[/IMG]
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to