General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrisadsl
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 17:10:39
Print Post

"FTTP exchanges"

[link to this post]

Looking at the announcements about the roll-out of FTTP the media talk about "BT won't hit its target of kitting out 12 exchanges with its new fibre network by the end of this year as originally hoped." But I assume this is just typical journalese: there is no 'kitting out' of the exchange required, at least nothing specific for FTTP that isn't already there for FTTC? What they mean is that OR will only provide FTTP installations in areas covered by a limited number of exchanges, presumably because only a limited number of engineers will have the necessary training - or am I missing something?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 17:23:52
Print Post

Re: "FTTP exchanges"

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

Kitting out 12 exchanges - is short hand for the man hours spent getting fibre tubing into the ducts in the area, and then blowing the fibres through etc

There is a fair bit of work that goes on for FTTP roll-out, a fair bit more than FTTC.

In terms of the exchange itself if it already has FTTC then the kitting out there is done, but if FTTP arrives first then that has to be done too.

Delays are mainly down to it taking longer to get the cables in the ducting etc. http://www.farina1.com/fibre shows a fair bit of the kit, including how fine the actual fibres themselves are.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chrisadsl
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 18:21:01
Print Post

Re: "FTTP exchanges"

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I suppose I was overlooking the extra fibre that needs to be blown through the main ducting (i.e. the stuff between the DPs/poles, not the premises), but thanks for confirming my understanding of the exchange end (we're down for FTTC/P in December, but presumably they will concentrate on getting fibre to cabs before tackling FTTP, especially as the roll-out has been delayed). But a lot of the connections locally would (I assume) be via poles, so that should reduce the individual premise's installation time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to