General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ichilton
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 08:24:45
Print Post

BT Broadband / Infinity IP's - Not sticky or static!

[link to this post]

Hi,

Does anyone know any way of getting BT to assign a static ip to a residential BT Infinity (package 2) connection?

I've not called and asked yet, but i'm sure I read somewhere that the residential ones are dynamic only.

I've seen someone else have the same problem with a BT Broadband ADSL connection, but the IP allocation seems to be completely random like in the old dial-up days.

With my previous NTL/Virgin (before we moved house) and O2 Broadband (up until this week) connections, although it was a dynamic ip, it was very sticky and you only ever got a new IP if you either connected a router and the mac address changed or you left it off for several hours. If you rebooted it or the connection dropped, it would come back with the same IP.

With BT, it seems to give a different, random one each time which is a pain because although I use dynamic dns for connecting back home, I allow my IP through the firewall of some of my remote servers so each time it changes I currently have to go in through a back door and update the firewall....which hardly ever happened on Virgin or O2, but looks like it could be often how i'm using Infinity so unless I can get a stable ip, i'll have to work on another way of doing this (cron'ing the firewall script and using the dynamic dns hostname or a vpn/tunnel maybe).

Thanks,

Ian

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 09:37:57
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband / Infinity IP's - Not sticky or static!

[re: ichilton] [link to this post]

Surely though, if you leave both Hub and modem switched on 24/7 it won't change the IP address ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 09:38:01
Print Post

BT takes view static IP is a business thing, so move to business products or change ISP

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 09:38:43
Print Post

I believe it simply isn't available on the residential packages, but is on business ones.

Not exactly a "Fibre" question? More BT Broadband?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ichilton
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 10:01:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys - i'll have to look at setting up a tunnel maybe.

Ian

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 18:33:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

depends on policy, sometimes the PPP sessions are dropped at the ISP end in order to turn over the IP address

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 19:12:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
depends on policy, sometimes the PPP sessions are dropped at the ISP end in order to turn over the IP address

Our BT Business connection at work seems to constantly lose its PPP session, but keeps its ADSL sync. Since we're on a static IP product, its just irritating!

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-11 21:27:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Session timeout? Possibly failing to renew the lease. Netgear?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 22:25:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Session timeout? Possibly failing to renew the lease. Netgear?

I'm not sure, but its pretty constatant, with either BT Business Hub, BT Voyager 1 port business router, or Netgear DG834 (no wireless); very old style silver "dinner plate" size, with latest firmware.

I'm assuming its just interference; the BT line is run into the building into the "patch room" owned by a third party, then patched using Cat5e to a floor box in my area, where I have the microfilter and the router.

The netgear seems to reconnect the fastest, and gives the most consistent download speeds, so its the one I've left on the line so far smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to