General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nbarker
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 12:51:58
Print Post

Modem extension wiring / ethernet extension?

[link to this post]

I'm looking at having FTTC via Zen installed in the next month or so.

The master socket at my house is in the living room, on an outside-facing wall. Currently I have an extension going from the socket back out the same way the phone line comes in and then up the outside of the house (behind a drainpipe....) and then re-enters my office upstairs. Routing it inside would be a pain due to laminate flooring etc.

Now this will no longer do for VDSL, so I'm looking at two options - either using mains ethernet adaptors, or I understand that BT will also supply and fit an extension kit at the time of installing the modem etc.

Any suggestions / pros and cons of either?

Thanks.

-- <br>Neil Barker
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:03:47
Print Post

Re: Modem extension wiring / ethernet extension?

[re: nbarker] [link to this post]

Best way.

Site Openreach modem as a wall mount by master socket, then you can run 100m of ethernet cable to wherever you want to site the main router.

If you take Ethernet cable outside, be sure to get UV resistent outdoor grade stuff.

The openreach data extension kit will do the job of letting you put the modem where you want, and if holes are present engineer may feed it through where the current extension goes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:11:09
Print Post

[re: nbarker] [link to this post]

If you don't use the NTE, nothing but what's connected at the end of the extension, I'm sure the engineer would be more than happy to bypass the existing NTE and relocate it to the end of the extension. Simplest solution.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 16:33:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Could he also in fact just re-enable the existing NTE5 as a phone extension socket? So no loss of phone if it is required.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 17:57:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not without the dreaded 'back-ending'. ie sending the DT back down from the faceplate through a separate pair.
Otherwise run a whole new cable along the same route.

Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 19-Oct-11 18:03:40
Print Post

Or divert the lead-in to where the extension is now (assuming it passes near to it currently - which it may do from the OP's description).

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 21:06:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Not without the dreaded 'back-ending'. ie sending the DT back down from the faceplate through a separate pair.
Otherwise run a whole new cable along the same route.

I'm curious as to the phrase "dreaded 'back-ending'" - why is it dreaded ? I believe this is what I have as my setup. Originally had master in hall, BT fitted ADSL socket in bedroom. I now have master/VDSL in bedroom where old ADSL only socket used to be (using the same wiring as originally fitted for ADSL extension) and the original master socket downstairs is now just a phone socket.

Print Thread

Jump to