General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 15:47:21
Print Post

Recommendations on how to appeal for faster broadband

[link to this post]

Dear All,

I leave in an area which has been reviewed for broadband and declined in the past. The housing estate I live on in Leeds has been added to in the last two years and more people are working from home.

I have recently heard that a local estate to us managed to campaign for faster broadband and had it added due to a campaign one resident took up (the meadows in East Ardsley.)

Is there someone who has been through this who can advise of the best course of action and contacts. There is a local community I would like to reach out to in this small area who would like to get broadband to get a commitment to switch over as I believe it would be beneficial to many home owners in the area.

BT Total Broadband
BT Total Broadband

Between 0.75Mb and 2.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 1.0Mb)

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-11 15:58:04
Print Post

Re: Recommendations on how to appeal for faster broadband

[re: cammyuk81] [link to this post]

Have you seen the BDUK news items and looked at what the local council is doing?

What do you mean by declined for broadband in the past?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User knighton
(learned) Mon 24-Oct-11 16:05:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by cammyuk81:
Dear All,

I leave in an area which has been reviewed for broadband and declined in the past. The housing estate I live on in Leeds has been added to in the last two years and more people are working from home.

I have recently heard that a local estate to us managed to campaign for faster broadband and had it added due to a campaign one resident took up (the meadows in East Ardsley.)

Is there someone who has been through this who can advise of the best course of action and contacts. There is a local community I would like to reach out to in this small area who would like to get broadband to get a commitment to switch over as I believe it would be beneficial to many home owners in the area.

BT Total Broadband
BT Total Broadband

Between 0.75Mb and 2.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 1.0Mb)

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

I would suggest you do as has been suggested and find out what the local council are doing to either get hold of BDUK money, or if they have already got it, what they plan to do with it.

As an interim I would seriously look at whether 3G is an option because if it is you may get much faster speeds than via BB. The downside is of course that with e.g. Three, its basically £1 per Gigabyte downloaded with a limit of 15Gb per month.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 17:21:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have you seen the BDUK news items and looked at what the local council is doing?

What do you mean by declined for broadband in the past?

there is a document saying we were looked at however we not considered which is disappointing considering the stats:

General Information
Exchange name: Hunslet
Exchange code: MYHLT
Postcode: LS115TD
Maps: Our map | Multimap | Streetmap
Serves (approx): 27,542 residential premises
1,288 non-residential premises.

However with the recent development which Leeds City Council has encouraged to become its own village and investment into the local area it seems a shame. Especially as our estate which was built some years ago has the last 100 yards of fibre to the door which most people struggle with!

As regards the councillors they claim it is not their responsibility! Will have another chat regarding this, however the local estate had one individual who campaigned and made a business case which an avenue I would like to follow up

Edited by cammyuk81 (Mon 24-Oct-11 17:22:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-11 17:33:24
Print Post

Still no clearer on what this document is, a link or who at least who actually said anything.

Exchange is Market 3, and has severall LLU providers, and no FTTC at this time.

The fibre mention and a little digging suggests the area was cursed with TPON for some time, i.e. a financial solution that created a technical cul-de-sac.

Local councils/city/county are very much involved in getting funds for superfast broadband. If your council is not interested then you will miss out..time to educate the councillors and point to other areas that are expanding and spending money to attract businesses.

To be honest looking at area, I'd suggest that FTTC from Openreach will arrive as part of its 2/3rd's of UK roll-out anyway.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 17:43:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apologies typing seems to vanish. There is some webpage in the internet that says we were consider but not considered it maybe due to the economic viability in the area. I have passed on the information and it will be raised with the local council authorities in a week at a face to face meeting.
  Print Thread

Jump to