General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User benj5386
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 21:39:41
Print Post

New FTTC installation

[link to this post]

Hi to everyone.

I'm having some problems with fttc bandwith and would like some help interpreting the tests i've done.
I am paying for a 40/10 service but the actual download b/w i achieve is terrible.

I've raised faults with my isp (vispa) and had a visit from openreach but still no resolution.

All the test's ive done have been using speedtester.bt.com so i can pass it onto my isp. All of my tests are carried out though the day and night (i work nights from home) and b/w results are consistant.

Speedtester.bt.com test 1 (download connected to my isp)
ip profile = 38717kbps
download speed = 7588kbps

test 2 (upload connected to my isp)
ip profile = 10000kbps
upload speed = 5436kbps

test 3 (download and upload connected to speedtest@speedtest_domain
ip profile = 38717kbps
download speed = 33191kbps

upstream ip profile = 10000kbps
upload speed = 6004kbps

As you can see, download speed while connected to speedtest@speedtest_domain is much more acceptable.

I sent this information to my isp and they replied saying it was a bandwith issue at my exchange. Is this correct or does the fault lay at my isp as i suspect. When not connected to vispa, my b/w is 'normal'. This would suggest that my isp is the bottleneck.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Regards
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 24-Oct-11 21:45:29
Print Post

Re: New FTTC installation

[re: benj5386] [link to this post]

yes you are correct. the test 3 implies the issue is with your ISP. They may be over subscribed at the exchange and need to purchase more backhaul (unlikely) or get any fault fixed. Such an issue will be affecting other users of the ISP.
Were you to change to another ISP such as BT retail or one of the more expensive providers you may not have this issue.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 24-Oct-11 21:46:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

re above. By unlikely I mean they are unlikely to purchase more bandwidth unless they get massive complaints.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benj5386
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 21:51:27
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks for the very quick reply.

Vispa isn't one of the llu providers at the exchange so i assume they use bt bandwidth. I pay a bit more for vispa rather than bt as vispa don't traffic shape.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-11 23:16:59
Print Post

They don't buy BT bandwidth direct from the exchange, but from a handover point further into the WBC network.

These handover points have been congestion points for years, i.e. a lot depends on how much the ISP rents.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 24-Oct-11 23:51:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by benj5386:
Thanks for the very quick reply.

Vispa isn't one of the llu providers at the exchange so i assume they use bt bandwidth. I pay a bit more for vispa rather than bt as vispa don't traffic shape.

They don't traffic shape but put you on a congested network.

BT only do minimal traffic shaping (apparently) and that is very selective - and I have NEVER come across any traffic shaping on BT Infinity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to