General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Mon 24-Oct-11 22:14:28
Print Post

Data extension kit question

[link to this post]

Is the total diameter the same as any other CAT5e? I seem to remember someone saying it was slightly less.

I wish to replace a stranded ali phone extension with some cat5e and run 1x100Mbps data and 1xphone connection off it, a smaller diameter cat5e cable would help if it exists.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:22:52
Print Post

Re: Data extension kit question

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

The most recent data extension kit, as supplied by Openreach, is only two pair, so yes, much thinner, but possibly no good for what you want it for.

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:40:05
Print Post

Croftie,

If you do run a phone extension and 100Mbps data along a cat5e I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

I've currently got 1Gigabit data running through a 3 pair cat5e with a standard telephone extension cable running alongside, over a distance of about 60 feet, from the back of a filtered face plate on the master to a phone socket. It would possibly be more convenient to run the voice and data through the same cable and terminate with a dual unfiltered phone and rj45 socket up to 60 feet from the master socket and the router/gigabit switch?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Tue 25-Oct-11 22:11:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks that's really helpful, the search continues then. There must be someone who makes CAT5e with a tighter fitting outer sheath.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Tue 25-Oct-11 22:21:32
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I thought Gigabit needed all 4 pairs?

FWIW I'm currently running 2x100 Mbps data down one CAT5e cable with no problems.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 23:34:15
Print Post

Croftie,

If Gigabit full duplex needs all four pairs, as you say, then using it for voice also would be impossible - thanks for the info smile

"The data is transmitted over four copper pairs, eight bits at a time. First, eight bits of data are expanded into four 3-bit symbols through a non-trivial scrambling procedure based on a linear feedback shift register.." - for some reason I thought one of the pairs was redundant, however only two pairs can be used but it will be at a lower speed. I do have all four pairs connected though smile

Please elaborate about your 2x100Mbps down one cat5e cable setup.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 26-Oct-11 00:18:58)

Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 26-Oct-11 01:41:34
Print Post

Yeah you confused me a bit there saying you had gigabit over 3 pairs smile

To run data and voice down a single CAT5e cable you would need to use 2 pairs for data, 1 pair for voice and have the last pair spare.

My run is a single length of standard CAT5e with 2xRJ45 modules on each end contained in a surface mounted back box and faceplate.

All that stuff you can see here: http://www.blackbox.co.uk/product/modc5e-r2/1/13/1/M...

Hope that helps.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 02:41:23
Print Post

Thanks Croftie, guess I was thinking ahead of myself regarding the 3 pairs, i.e. as you said " 2 pairs for data (100mbps), 1 pair for voice and have the last pair spare."

So I guess you are running two devices from two ethernet ports on your router via a cat5e 4 pair cable and rj45 modules etc. at 100Mbps.

Just let me know how you get on with voice and 100Mbps data down the same "slim" cat5e 4 pair cable if you can get it.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Wed 26-Oct-11 23:34:00
Print Post

Do you have any specific concerns running voice and data down one cable? I can't envisage any problems and a quick google turns up at least one person that has done it.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 27-Oct-11 00:51:07
Print Post

Croftie,

I'm sure from advice on this forum, unless I misunderstood, that it is fine to run an analogue adsl signal and filtered voice from a master socket filter/splitter faceplate along an extension cat5e cable (2 pairs would be OK) to a dual adsl rj45 and unfiltered voice phone socket, then on to a router with either a rj11 to rj11 or rj45 to rj11 adsl cable and also to a phone with a standard phone lead/connection - e.g. http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_extensions.html - DUAL: 1 x RJ45(ADSL/Data) & 1 x BT socket, interestingly the cable supplied with that kit is 3 pair.

However I don't know about running 100Mbps data along 2 pairs and using the third pair for filtered voice - perhaps the digital data may cause problems with the analogue voice signal if they are running over a distance of perhaps 60 feet through the same cat5e cable? Hence my question regarding your potential setup and any experience you may have had with it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to