General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Steve_D
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 19:29:36
Print Post

Getting BT Infinity, line rental not with BT

[link to this post]

Long story short, currently with O2 LLU, line rental with Talk Talk. Reading a few posts on here it seems like that will make ordering BT Infinity problematic. Has anyone been in a similar position? Do I need to move my line rental back to BT before ordering, or can it be done at the same time?

The other issue I have concerns the ceasing of the O2 service. In the event of a problem, and needing to revert back, is the service you are leaving only ceased once the new one is known to be working, or does it happen beforehand? It's of interest because I'm on one of the legacy uncapped O2 products, and I'm concerned that in the event of something going wrong I'd be without any service at all, and worst case having to go back to O2 and then being put on the newer capped packages.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:01:31
Print Post

Re: Getting BT Infinity, line rental not with BT

[re: Steve_D] [link to this post]

If you want Infinity as opposed to FTTC from one of the other providers then yes, you need to move the line rental too.

The move is not one where they can switch you back, you would be a new customer as far as broadband wiring, i.e. there is no lets connect you and see how it goes period of a few hours.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:19:28
Print Post

TalkTalk do an FTTC product, wouldn't that make life simpler ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:09:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It is a boost to their existing products, i.e. would require you to talk their line rental product too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:17:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Long story short, currently with O2 LLU, line rental with Talk Talk

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Steve_D
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:17:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I guess it would, but I've never actually used their BB services, just had them for phone. I see they do an unlimited package, but a line check with my number states it will be available in May, which I assume to be 2012 though it doesn't say, and the upload is listed as 2Mb compared to BT's 10Mbit. So first impressions are not good.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:25:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And to add they would probably move the line rental from its current WLR product to a full LLU product.

So there would be a change and returning to another line rental provider in the future may be harder, than just going with BT Retail.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Oct-11 21:42:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Steve_D:
Long story short, currently with O2 LLU, line rental with Talk Talk. Reading a few posts on here it seems like that will make ordering BT Infinity problematic. Has anyone been in a similar position? Do I need to move my line rental back to BT before ordering, or can it be done at the same time?
Yes, to get Infinity you have to move the line rental back to BT. It can be done at the same time, but in your case I advise to do it first, as there should be no interruption to your O2 service in the process. See the next bit.
The other issue I have concerns the ceasing of the O2 service. In the event of a problem, and needing to revert back, is the service you are leaving only ceased once the new one is known to be working, or does it happen beforehand? It's of interest because I'm on one of the legacy uncapped O2 products, and I'm concerned that in the event of something going wrong I'd be without any service at all, and worst case having to go back to O2 and then being put on the newer capped packages.
(I'm assuming the line has been moved, as recommended above).
You just get a MAC from O2 as for any other migration. IIRC they take that as the start of the notice period if you use the MAC, which you will! Submit that with your order to BT and the O2 service should continue right up to the time the engineer starts on the physical changes, which include detaching your line from the O2 DSLAM and attaching it to the BT MSAN. You have to be linked into the fibre feed at the cabinet, and finally the new NTE5 faceplate and OR modem/BT Home Hub at home.

In 99.9% of cases there is no problem. But if there is I don't know if all that would be reversed, although if the actual connection speed on Infinity, (as opposed to the initial estimate), is below15Mbps it used to be.

If he did reverse the setup, then I believe you would not have migrated therefore no problem with the package. Even if he didn't initially, no-one should have notified O2 that you have migrated, so a time lapse shouldn't matter. Note the shoulds, not woulds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Steve_D
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 23:51:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, thanks for that. I think I will go for the option of getting the line moved first. It's going to delay things a bit, but I can live with it. Almost seems a shame to leave O2, it's been an excellent service, but it's hard to pass up 30Mbit or more. Seems strange they have no interest in FTTC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 23:54:48
Print Post

The no interest is not strictly correct, I think they are looking for a better deal from openreach, and network changes to their own network, or a partnership with someone like Hyperoptic

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to