General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User menawollas
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-11 10:34:14
Print Post

Cost of FTTP re FTTC

[link to this post]

Before the end of the year, my exchange, St Austell, should be up and running with an FTTP rollout.

I am cuurently on LLU with Xilo, however looking at the options available for fibre, it seems hard to beat the BT Infinity unlimited option, which is what I think I will go for.

However, I can't find anything on BT, or any other providers, site about the difference in cost for an FTTP installation versus an FTTC one.

Am I correct in assuming that there will be a cost difference? Any idea what.?

Also, as FTTC speed should be upped to 80Mbs (ish) in the near future, is there any advantage in FTTP, as I am not that interested in having a massive upload speed?

Cheers
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Oct-11 10:38:39
Print Post

Re: Cost of FTTP re FTTC

[re: menawollas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by menawollas:
Also, as FTTC speed should be upped to 80Mbs (ish) in the near future, is there any advantage in FTTP, as I am not that interested in having a massive upload speed?

Cheers

With FTTP you will get the speed you subscribe to, whereas with FTTC it is only 'upto' and depends on your distance from your street cabinet.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 27-Oct-11 11:43:28
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

The FTTP package is being moved up to 300meg download sometime next year so it would be a very big difference then between FTTC as the 80 meg download speed you would need to sit right on top of the cabinet.

As for cost you go onto Infinity with the same price point at the moment no matter how it is delivered.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Oct-11 18:37:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Maximum of 300Meg, one expects different price points for the progressively faster speeds at some point. If BT Infinity does the 300Meg for same price as existing Infinity then there will be some careful looking at wholesale pricing etc

Big advantage of FTTP is no resync issues due to RF noise

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Thu 27-Oct-11 20:00:44
Print Post

Not necessarily (re FTTP), just because the connection rate is always the same it doesn't mean you'll get the max throughput speed all of the time.

Any home broadband package no matter how its delivered will always be "up to" because you aren't paying for a guaranteed data rate.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Oct-11 20:36:32
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GMAN98:
Not necessarily (re FTTP), just because the connection rate is always the same it doesn't mean you'll get the max throughput speed all of the time.

Any home broadband package no matter how its delivered will always be "up to" because you aren't paying for a guaranteed data rate.

I meant that the connection rate would always be the same, perhaps badly phrased. Of course you will still be affected by congestion, packet loss, any traffic shaping applied and the ability of the server you are connected to, to send data as fast as you can receive.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User charlestown
(newbie) Sun 27-Nov-11 18:44:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by menawollas:
Before the end of the year, my exchange, St Austell, should be up and running with an FTTP rollout.

I am cuurently on LLU with Xilo, however looking at the options available for fibre, it seems hard to beat the BT Infinity unlimited option, which is what I think I will go for.

However, I can't find anything on BT, or any other providers, site about the difference in cost for an FTTP installation versus an FTTC one.

Am I correct in assuming that there will be a cost difference? Any idea what.?

Cheers

By curious coincidence I am also in St Austell and currently with Xilo. I've been really struggling to get any kind of coherent answer from BT or anywhere else on when I am likely to see a fibre optic connection on my line. According to Sam Knows the St Austell exchange won't be enabled for FTTC until the end of December 2012 and yet all the press reports suggest FTTP is already up and running.

I have run numerous checks on the Infinity line checker which shows places within a couple hundred yards either have a fibre optic connection already or will do in the next month or so. Have you managed to find out anything more? I actually asked Xilo for my Mac code the other day thinking it might be another year before we get Infinity so I was going to try Sky in the meanwhile and save £20 a month.

BTW My understanding is that there should be no difference in cost for FTTP v FTTC at least from the perspective of installation if you sign up with BT but I gather other suppliers will be charging. Many won't be doing FTTP at all apparently even in areas where it is enabled.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 18:59:37
Print Post

FTTC is no up - it will what you get -- (the max FTTC is at max is 80 meg

but its not an upto product as up to 24 is at present
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 19:00:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

sugggest you look at the superfast cornwall web site wchih shold give a clearer view of what is avaialbe and when
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Dec-11 18:49:08
Print Post

FTTP is between 5 to 15 times more expensive per home passed depending on state of access network.
  Print Thread

Jump to