General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burro08
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 00:16:37
Print Post

Adsl and virgin cable 100mb

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I currently have o2 adsl and am thinking of getting virgins 100mb aswell.

I have a billion bipac 7800N adsl/cable router. Can I use them both at the same time? ie my adsl is 14meg down and 1.3 meg up.

apparently I can get virgins 100meg down and 10meg up. is there anyway I can test to see what speed I.will get??

If I can use them together will I get 114meg down and 11.3meg up??

apologies if this has been asked before

thanks

k
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:32:20
Print Post

Re: Adsl and virgin cable 100mb

[re: burro08] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burro08:
Hi guys

I currently have o2 adsl and am thinking of getting virgins 100mb aswell.

I have a billion bipac 7800N adsl/cable router. Can I use them both at the same time? ie my adsl is 14meg down and 1.3 meg up.

apparently I can get virgins 100meg down and 10meg up. is there anyway I can test to see what speed I.will get??

If I can use them together will I get 114meg down and 11.3meg up??

apologies if this has been asked before

thanks

k
You can use them at the same time but you cannot 'join them together' to get a faster overall speed. You'll have one connection of 14Mb/s and another of 100Mb/s.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:56:25
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

A couple of options:
1) you could load share the links so that different traffic flows use different links, but this works better for similar speed links.
2) you could use something like http://uk.sharedband.com/ to perform proper link aggregation.

[Or, in theory if you moved your o2 connection to A&A, you could get an L2TP secondary login and run that over the virgin connection to "roll your own" aggregation.]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:25:46
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
A couple of options:
1) you could load share the links so that different traffic flows use different links, but this works better for similar speed links.
2) you could use something like http://uk.sharedband.com/ to perform proper link aggregation.

[Or, in theory if you moved your o2 connection to A&A, you could get an L2TP secondary login and run that over the virgin connection to "roll your own" aggregation.]
Beyond my ken, but does any of that work with one connection ADSL2+ and other VM Cable, which is what the OP seems to be asking about?

In any case, given a 100Mbps connection, the idea of trying to add a 13Mbps one to it looks a bit OTT in terms of ROI of both money and effort.

(Edit - typo).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-Nov-11 08:30:31)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:28:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Both 1 and 2 should work (sharedband claims to cope withy different speed links) but I completely agree on the ROI point!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:36:02
Print Post

Thanks smile. I've just had a prowl round their website, (which has apparent but seemingy non-existent tab links on the Home Page), as the Home page talks about ADSLx only. But you are right, it does claim to share ADSLx and cable connections. Neat!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:41:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If it were me, then I'd do one of two things

1. Have both links available on the same physical ethernet network, but on different subnets, with only one running DHCP. Meaning I can pick or choose which link to use.

OR

2. Rather than a load balancing, would use a router that will fail over to a secondary ethernet connection, i.e. ensure a very high uptime.

The first option is minimal cost and probably suffices for most people, plus if you have a 'media server' on the home network, assuming it can have dual IP interfaces it can appear on either network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burro08
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 10:02:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the only reason I'm asking about both is til my 02 contract runs out. Andrew could u explain abit more

thanks
k
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 10:24:12
Print Post

[re: burro08] [link to this post]

Which of the two options do you want me to explain more?

(1) is what I do myself, i.e. two broadband connections on the same network, but each computer is only accessing the internet over one at any one time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Nov-11 11:14:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by ionic:
Both 1 and 2 should work (sharedband claims to cope withy different speed links) but I completely agree on the ROI point!
Interesting, I had no idea such a service existed. I'd assume there are latency issues which might make it unsuitable for gamers but I suppose that depends on their servers. Very interesting.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to