General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 02:22:56
Print Post

Below 5Mbps?

[link to this post]

Any news / ideas whenever BT Wholesale will allow people to take orders for people on the likes of my line? 2 miles from cabinet...

For Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXXX on Exchange AGHALEE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 4th November 2011. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but will delay the provision of the new Broadband service.

Currently get around 7Mbps sync with interleaving turned off.. attenuation varies from 35-37.

Cabinet is definitely enabled, as is exchange.

Before it was enabled, checker said I could receive download speeds of 100Kbps and upload speeds of 500Kbps via FTTC however disappeared when all was enabled.

Jack
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-Nov-11 04:10:05
Print Post

Re: Below 5Mbps?

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Check using your postcode instead of you phone number.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 09:41:53
Print Post

If two miles from cabinet and a 37dB attenuation, then your cabinet must be just outside the exchange building

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 12:19:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, around 20 metres from the building - pretty pointless for myself.

But, adsl2 is not enabled in my exchange so if I'm correct, having me put on a FTTC connection would give me adsl2 speeds as the max sync isn't 8Mbps, now 40?

Sorry for any errors in typing this, I'm on my phone.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 12:34:22
Print Post

You may see an improvement, but more like 9 to 10Meg rather than 7Meg as now. Actual experience of VDSL2 dropping back to ADSL2+/2 performance levels is something I've not seen much of.

Openreach is trying to avoid upgrading the small number of very long lines at present, and ISP's with the new speed rules in advertising may be reticent.

Best bet is to go to one of the smaller FTTC retailers and see what their checker says.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 12:37:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Always popping up the exact same thing for all of them. Petty - we could really use with the extra bandwidth now.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 12:51:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Yeah, around 20 metres from the building - pretty pointless for myself.

If there was no cabinet and you were fed directly then there would be absolutely NO chance of FTTC. It is not permissible to run it from the exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Nov-11 18:38:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Curiously enough, I attended an FTTC install in an exchange last week, they had run a 10 pair back from the cab (about 100m down the road) to the exchange with one 21cn line and an FTTC line through it for monitoring purposes.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 18:50:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

But that is different to a whole block of VDSL lines routing from the exchange and the noise levels they would create.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to