General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 04-Nov-11 16:58:56
Print Post

Is there hope for me - FTTC?

[link to this post]

Just looking to see if and when I could get FTTC service. Just noticed something interesting. The town I am in is currently on the target date for march 2012. If I use the http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcode postcode checker it shows that I can get FTTC. If I user the address checker it says I can not. I cannot check the phone line checker as currently with sky.

Does BT load up their general post code checker (not the address/line chckers) with advanced postcodes that will be enabled in a town. Is this a 'tool' to see exactly what postcodes in an announced exchange area are to be done or not?

IanD
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 17:05:47
Print Post

Re: Is there hope for me - FTTC?

[re: iand] [link to this post]

the BT.com checker does enable yoy to do bt provided line) which does a search on postcode and address to give a view of is available
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 17:06:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

sorry
that sould read not a bt provided / served line

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 04-Nov-11 17:08:34
Print Post

Does your postcode possibly cover more than one exchange, hence the discrepancy? The address checker will be more precise than the postcode checker.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Fri 04-Nov-11 19:37:41)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 04-Nov-11 17:22:03
Print Post

What I am attempting to say, is BT decide to FTTC enable a specific town. The town can have one or more exchanges covering that town. My town only has 1 exchange. BT then only enable specific area's of the town (that are easy?). So how do you know if your area will or will not be enabled.

Could it be that:

* BT Decide to enable a town and announce it to be enabled in 2012 as an example
* BT Decide to enable a town and announce an enablement by Mar 2012
* At this point BT must then plan the area's of the town to be done or not (Postcode)
* Does BT then load up the Postcodes to be enabled to their Post code Checker, not the phone line checker or the address checker)
* BT then actually perform the physical work on the street & in the street cabinets
* BT then enables the Line Checker and Address Checker with the FTTC details

My questions is can we use the Postcode checker as an early warning tool to see if your area/postcode will be FTTC enabled in your town or not, once it is announced?

IanD
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Nov-11 18:58:27
Print Post

That checker, which is the most reliable apart from getting inside information, can say that a line "supports" FTTC at such and such a speed, but that doesn't mean it is yet available. The same applies to the Address and Post Code checkers.

Your problem could very well be that some addresses in your post code will get it, and others will not, as a postcode can in fact be served by several cabinets. The highest number I remember seeing is three, but two is common. Not all cabinets for a Post Code will necessarily get enabled.

There is an April 2011 spreadsheet that several of us have that shows these effects, but unfortunately now perhaps out of date for areas such as yours. There is a much later one but as far as I know it hasn't yet escaped into the public domain. I haven't seen it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Nov-11 20:28:18
Print Post

Basically, ignore the postcode checker. It is not accurate in any way. It will always show that FTTC is available if the exchange is FTTC enabled, regardless of whether the cabinet is to be enabled or not.

Only the address and telephone checker are accurate. If you PM me your postcode I can check a few things for you however.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Nov-11 20:29:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The latest document we've got was late September, so around 5 weeks old now.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Standard User chrisadsl
(regular) Fri 04-Nov-11 22:20:26
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Basically, ignore the postcode checker. It is not accurate in any way. It will always show that FTTC is available if the exchange is FTTC enabled, regardless of whether the cabinet is to be enabled or not.

James

So if the postcode checker returns a result, all the work has been done at the exchange?
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Nov-11 17:06:44
Print Post

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

There is no real hard work required at an exchange, so it's ready well before any cabs are RFS.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to